Topic: Driving in the Winter

Old Henry    -- 11-18-2010 @ 11:13 AM
  I'm interested in what percentage of you DON'T put your cars "on ice" for the winter but actually drive them all winter on a regular basis and why some do and some don't. What say you? Here are a couple of photos of one of my favorite winter road trips to Manti Utah to stay in the bed and breakfast pictured for Valentines Day 18 months ago. I'd be interested to see some of your winter driving pictures.

Still Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 11-18-10 @ 11:23 AM

Old Henry    -- 11-18-2010 @ 11:16 AM
  Oops. I messed up again. My previous picture was way too big. Here's another the right size. I'd love to see yours.

Still Old Henry

nelsb01    -- 11-18-2010 @ 1:48 PM
  Ooooo. I thought I might have gotten you on a technicallity. I have a picture from the 2010 Western Meet in St George Utah of a maroon coupe on a trailer with a 1947 Utah plate --- well, that was a 1947 Mercury -- and you have a Ford. The license plate was the reminder. Really like those motto's that Utah used to use.

Looks like you followed someone down a clay road. Congrats on driving your car -- here in the North Woods -- we will wait till spring.

Old Henry    -- 11-18-2010 @ 1:58 PM
  OK. Come one now. Does anyone drive their car in the snow?

Still Old Henry

wrosenkrans    -- 11-18-2010 @ 2:07 PM
  Havn't had our 42 Sedan long enough to drive it during the winter yet, but we certaintly will. We drive our Model A's and T's all winter, unless there's salt on the road then I'll go out and at least start them and let them run long enough for the temps to come up. I'm a firm believer that with anything mechanical, if they sit things go wrong.

Driving a Model T in the snow is an experience...

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

Old Henry    -- 11-18-2010 @ 2:37 PM
  Way to tackle the white stuff Wayne and Barb!
Post some pictures of you in your cars in the snow when you get some.

Still Old Henry

Stroker    -- 11-18-2010 @ 2:38 PM
  Old:

Here in the upper midwest, we use lots and lots of rock salt in the winter. The trend has been to use more salt brine in the past few years, but it's still 100% saturated with salt. My 38 was born and raised in So.Cal., so it doesn't have any underbody rust. It also doesn't have a heater.

There's an old saying here in Ioway:

"On a cold, clear night; if you outside and listen very carefully, you can hear a Ford rust".

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-18-2010 @ 3:51 PM
  stoker
I think they changed that to a ASIAN car you can hear rusting,
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

Stenny    -- 11-18-2010 @ 4:18 PM
  I drive a '39 pickup year round in the Pacific NW. Some snow but usually just lots of rain. I don't have any snapshots of truck in bad weather but will say that after 22 years, the old girl is starting to look a bit shabby.

drkbp    -- 11-19-2010 @ 5:08 AM
  What is all that white stuff y'all have? grin

It is an "event" when we see it here. Going to the office it was 47 this morning but I didn't put the back window up in my cabriolet.

We have trouble with hot. It shuts us down in the summer. Nothing like going for a 98 degree ride! Sauna on wheels.

Ken In Houston

wrosenkrans    -- 11-20-2010 @ 12:48 AM
  Stroker -- where are you in Iowa? My wife's from Albia about an hour south of Des Moines - we visit usually once a year.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

Stroker    -- 11-20-2010 @ 7:09 AM
  Wayne:

I live in rural Mahaska County, about 25 miles North of Albia. Let me know when you are in the area kalbach@wildbluepella.org

TomO    -- 11-20-2010 @ 7:55 AM
  I don't drive mine in the winter, either. They use lots of salt on our roads in the Chicago area and the roads are way too crowded to risk driving with the skinny bias ply tires. I like to wait for the drier spring and summer weather.

Tom

Scranton1000    -- 11-20-2010 @ 11:21 AM
  I have a '39 original 4 door sedan and would not want to expose it to the salt they use all winter here in upstate NY. I figure the car has lasted
71 years without rusting, so I am not going to accelerate that process now. I do keep it inside (a hangar) during the winter and start it a couple
of times a week to warm up the fluids, but no salt for this baby! I have no doubt it would handle the snow and ice acceptably and would otherwise perform in cold weather, but ....

Old Henry    -- 11-20-2010 @ 1:15 PM
  Yesterday we took a little overnight trip over Wolf Creek Pass in the Uinta Mountains of Utah - elevation 9,485 feet! It was a great winter drive.

Still Old Henry

johnpoly    -- 11-20-2010 @ 3:09 PM
  I live in North Carolina and drive all my old cars in the winter except when it is freezing, raining, snowing, or when there is salt on the roads. Hibernating is not an option and an occasional engine start is not healthy. A twenty minute cruise every two weeks or so is good for your collectible. Try it!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2197