Topic: '36 gas tank sending unit arm

Flatbob    -- 11-17-2010 @ 3:14 PM
  Which way do I bend the arm on sending unit so dash gauge indicates less gas than is actually in the gas tank? Right now it indicates a 1/4 tank and fuel pump couldn't pick up fuel, put a gallon of fuel in & fired right up. Thanks

supereal    -- 11-17-2010 @ 3:18 PM
  Bend the arm so the float is closer to the top of the tank. That way, it will read empty before the tank is actually dry.

Flatbob    -- 11-17-2010 @ 4:56 PM
  Thanks Bob, that's the way I bent it but I guess I didn't bend it enough. Bob

supereal    -- 11-18-2010 @ 3:20 PM
  When I set them, I measure the fuel level thru the sender hole with a ruler, then tweak the arm to give an approximation of the level. Gas gauges, as a rule, usually aren't very accurate, anyway. I like to see the "E" side with about a quarter tank left as a reserve. I don't like to drain any tank much lower so the water an sediment isn't ingested into the fuel system. Anyone with an in-tank pump, typical in today's fuel injected cars, shouldn't let the tank get much lower than 2/3 as the fuel serves as a coolant for the high pressure pump. Replacement of a pump can run into big bucks, often in five figures.

depoebay    -- 12-15-2010 @ 3:02 PM
  Supereal,
I have a '37 ford with a fuel injected Chevy. I don't suspect the fuel pump is in the original '37 tank. I think it is an electric fuel pump near the tank.
I will follow your advice on the sending unit adjustment.
Are you saying once you tweak the sending unit arm a little closer to the top of the tank so that you know that there is still gas on the bottom even though the gauge reads empty? So, in order to achieve an extra 1/4 tank ( on empty) one might bend the S.U.arm an extra ?? inches? Waiting for your reply.
Thanks, Mike

supereal    -- 12-16-2010 @ 8:48 AM
  Mike: I set the float to read empty with about a quarter tank as a reserve, in case I don't pay attention to the gauge (common to us ancient guys). In some cases, the float arm isn't long enough to give a full range, so it must be lengthened. We either crimp on or braze an extension. Brass welding rod is a good inert material for the task. Most fuel injection systems use an in-tank pump due to the high pressure required, so be sure what you have. If it is in the tank, it is likely that the fuel gauge sender is a part of the pump unit. In any case, be sure that the float clears any baffles or other obstructions when it is in place.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2193