Topic: Rear hub grease seal orientation

Tim I    -- 11-16-2010 @ 9:10 PM
  Another dumb question from me regarding my '38 coupe:

The replacement rear hub seals I have are not hollow on one side, so I don't know which side of the seal faces the bearing. The seals have a lip on each side, but the lip on one side is wider than the other. Help!

Also, are the seals to be driven in just far enough to allow the retaining ring to be fitted?

I would appreciate any advice.

Tim

Stroker    -- 11-17-2010 @ 7:47 AM
  Tim I:

There are no "dumb questions". Dumb are the people who don't ask. Having said that, I am familiar with the OEM 38 rear seals, but am "dumb" regarding your two-lipped replacement. Just remember that
the rear seal has two jobs to do. 1. it is supposed to keep the rear wheel bearing grease in the bearing, and 2., it is supposed to keep the dirt and brake dust from getting into the bearing. I would assume that the second, smaller lip would face out (to handle the dirt) and the larger lip would face the bearing.

The seals do not need to be driven any farther in the hub than required to install the retainer.

supereal    -- 11-17-2010 @ 9:07 AM
  In all cases, the seal lip is pointed at the grease or oil to be contained. Some rear hubs have two snap ring grooves. You will determine which is appropriate when the seal is seated. Many of the seals being sold today are too flimsy to withstand driving into place. The seals with the red sealer coating are better, but the uncoated seals will collapse easily.

Tim I    -- 11-18-2010 @ 6:15 PM
  Thanks guys, much appreciated!

The seals I got were from Mac's and were advertised as the "high quality" ones. They seem pretty good (although made in Taiwan)and have the red coating, I think. They're pretty sturdy, so hopefully driving them into place shouldn't be a problem.

I guess I'll use that SL3131 grease on those rear bearings. (It looks so cheap and nasty, I just couldn't bring myself to use it on the fronts, and used Valvoline Drum Brake grease instead.)

Thanks again for your help!

Tim
'38 Standard coupe

supereal    -- 11-19-2010 @ 9:32 AM
  The very best grease for packing rear hub bearings is the Sta-Lube heavy duty brake drum grease. It contains fibers that permit drawing the grease into and around the rollers. It is the closest match to the originally prescribed Ford grease. Any other type of grease will likely result in accelerated wear of the axle housing surfaces. It can also be used in the fronts. Old cars use clearances considerably wider than modern vehicles, and using newer lubes, such as synthetics, isn't wise.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2190