Topic: starting trouble

49ferd    -- 11-16-2010 @ 8:53 PM
  Since my dad passed I just got his car out of storage. I drove it a few times last summer and thats about it for my experience with it. Its been in good hands in a dry place. It seems like it wants to run but just stops after a few seconds with some starter fluid in the carb. I know it has a new fuel pump. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1949 ford convertible

alanwoodieman    -- 11-17-2010 @ 6:12 AM
  sound like it is not getting any gas? I would still suspect a bad fuel pump diaphram-this ethanol laced gas will turn old diaphrams into mush in a few days-new rebuild kits have a different type of diaphram. I would disconnect the fuel line at the carb, put a hose on the line, run that to a can to catch any gas and then try to start the car and see if you get any gas flow. Make sure you secure the hose into the can or get a helper

supereal    -- 11-17-2010 @ 8:31 AM
  Did you drain and refill the tank with fresh fuel? After sitting in storage, most fuel produces varnish and/or moisture has settled to the bottom where the pickup tube is placed. I agree with Alan regarding alcohol attack on the fuel pump, new or not. It is also possible that the gas line from the tank has become clogged with rust and dirt from lack of use. When you pump the throttle, you should see a jet of gas in each barrel of the carb. If not, pull the top of the carb to see if fuel is present, and whether the float needle has become lodged in the seat.

TomO    -- 11-17-2010 @ 8:41 AM
  Another source of insufficient fuel delivery is the flex line going into the fuel pump or the sediment bowl gasket.

Crank the engine and watch the sediment bowl, you should see gas coming into the bowl. If not, check the sediment bowl for rust or other debris. If there is none, replace the fuel pump and the flex line.

Tom

51f1    -- 11-18-2010 @ 10:25 AM
  Depending on the condition of the fuel tank, the fuel line could be clogged with rust. After replacing the flex line and the fuel pump, look at the fuel tank, or, maybe, before.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 11-18-10 @ 10:26 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2189