Topic: Oil: Is 10w 40 Amsoil good to use in new flathead

tnwoodie    -- 11-16-2010 @ 7:00 AM
  Is Amsoil 10w 40 a good oil to use in flatheads?

trjford8    -- 11-16-2010 @ 7:02 AM
  Amsoil is synthetic. I would tend not to use synthetic as it will find leaks. In a flathead you don't need any extra leaks.

supereal    -- 11-16-2010 @ 8:44 AM
  If you are in a warmer climate, or mostly drive in the summer. 20w-50 is a better choice. It tends to give better oil pressure when hot, and protects wide clearance engines at higher speeds. Castrol make a good one.

Old Henry    -- 11-16-2010 @ 3:47 PM
  Here is an older but very exhaustive discussion about various oils to use in flathead engines. It includes a great variety of opinions from reputable users as well as some nice scientific data about it. It's one of my favorites. http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/oilwgt.htm When I read that kind of exhaustive discussion then step back, look up at the sky, and ponder, I reach the conclusion: "oil is oil is oil is oil." If it's slippery, put it in. No big deal.

As for me. I guess I'm more of a "truist" and run what Henry recommended - straight 30 weight.

Still Old Henry

P.S. I can tell you one thing for sure - I've never heard of anyone saying their engine failed because of having any particular brand or weight of oil in the engine, only from having no oil at all in the engine.

P.P.S. I do add ZDDPlus to all my oils (engine, tranny, diff, and steering box) since it's gone now from modern oils and is needed for our old flatheads.

This message was edited by Old Henry on 11-16-10 @ 5:15 PM

supereal    -- 11-17-2010 @ 9:02 AM
  Opinions on oil are as numerous as there are owners. Today's oils are vastly superior to those available at the time the cars were built. At our shop, we recommend against synthetics, as they tend to leak past the primitive seals, and are not designed for engines with comparatively wide bearing clearances. As for zinc (ZDDP), it is vital in engines with valve systems using very strong springs, but not so much in flatheads. Mostly, the zinc protects the lifter face during breakin, but is not critical after that phase when wear patterns have been established. For the most part, fuel and oil additives do an excellent job of producing a thinner wallet. Positive reviews tend to be financed and published by those with something to sell.

Old Henry    -- 11-17-2010 @ 9:39 AM
  Here's what "Big Daddy" Don Garlitis and others say about the need for ZDDP for your reading pleasure. Take it or leave it. I bought into it so use it all the time. http://www.zddplus.com/

Still Old Henry

supereal    -- 11-17-2010 @ 10:47 AM
  My info came directly from a service bulletin from Fleet Maintenance in reply to a question about the need for zinc replacement in oil. Garlits is a legendary drag racer, but is also an investor in such products, and often is a paid endorser. Using ZDDP additives probably won't hurt, but appears to be questionable past break in. It was reduced in motor oil to prevent damage to the exhaust cat converters. We heard lots about how removing lead from gas would cause severe valve problems, and lead additives were heavily promoted. When no problems developed, the next big thing was zinc. All name brand oils contain excellent additive "packages", and putting in other compounds may dilute their effect. That is why "moly" products disappeared when experience showed not only few benefits, but increased wear when added in excess amounts.

Old Henry    -- 11-17-2010 @ 6:01 PM
  Just trying to learn here.
Supereal, was the Fleet Maintenance Bullitin that you refer to and the question that it was resonding to a recent one regarding modern engines or was it one specifically for flatheads?

Still Old Henry

jerry.grayson    -- 11-17-2010 @ 6:57 PM
  Just "askin"----Did the oil used in 1940 contain ZDDP?

Old Henry    -- 11-17-2010 @ 8:08 PM
  Yes. It was an additive to protect the flat tappet cams and lifters. It's existence then and demise since is explained by the ZDDPlus web site here: http://www.zddplus.com/

Still Old Henry

51f1    -- 11-18-2010 @ 3:03 AM
  Just my opinion: Use a multi-grade synthetic.

Oil today is so far superior to oil from the days when our flatheads were built that I don't think it much matters what you use as long as the viscosity is right. But a multi-viscosity oil is better than a single viscosity oil in almost any gasoline engine. An oil must be "thin" enough to flow well at lower temperatures and must remain "thick" enough to maintain adequate protection at higher temperatures. That is what a muti-viscosity oil does better than a single viscosity oil. (By-the-way, the viscosity that Ford recommended for my flathead varies with the ambient temperature, just like a multi-viscosity oil.) A synthetic is better because of its better lubricity, which will increase engine life (less wear). However, considering the mileage on a particular engine, synthetic may be a wasted investment and would be best used in a new or rebuilt engine.

That's just my opinion.

Richard

TomO    -- 11-18-2010 @ 9:03 AM
  ZDDP was not used as an additive extensively until the 1950's. Union Oil Co. may have started using it around 1938.

Here is a link to an article about the history of ZDDP.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/j60115r635641x36/

IMHO if you add anything to your motor oil, you may be upsetting the chemical balance of the oil and it's additives. This could cause more damage than not having a large amount of a particular anti-wear additive. Today's oils are complex compounds, designed to work together to decrease wear in your engine as well as not foul the air.

Tom

supereal    -- 11-18-2010 @ 9:27 AM
  I think most of the others have covered the ZDDP topic. Today's name brand oils contain zinc, and are "backward compatible". If you are worried about zinc, use name brand "racing" oils, or those designed for worn engines with lots of miles on them. It is more cost effective than laying out 6-8 bucks for a few ounces of ZDDP additive, in my opinion. Over the years, I have yet to see a genuine Ford flathead camshaft go "flat", but we have replaced lots of them in newer cars. Multi viscosity oils are mostly the rule today. My wife's new Lexus calls for 0w weight oil! The Fleet Service article was designed to emphasize the need for additional protection of tappets in the breakin period, but was to be discontinued after that time to prevent damage to the cat converter. This has been a fine discussion of oils, and I hope it was productive in helping make a choice.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2183