Topic: 34 Tudor w/ 59AB Flathead - motor trouble

rbone    -- 11-14-2010 @ 6:25 PM
  Hello. This is Ron Bone. I am new to this forum and hoping that someone can help me out. I own a 34 Tudor Sedan that belonged to my Father. Back in the 60's he got rid of the original motor and installed a new 59AB flathead. I restored the car in the late 90's - including having the 59AB rebuilt. Unfortunately, the oil pump seems to have failed and I am worried that the motor needs a full rebuild. I am debating on whether to have this motor rebuilt or to try and find an original style 21 stud flathead. My questions are: 1 - is there a reputable shop in the Dallas, TX area that can rebuild my motor? And 2 - where might I find a good quality 21 stud style motor to consider?

Thanks in advance,
Ron Bone

This message was edited by rbone on 11-14-10 @ 6:25 PM

trjford8    -- 11-14-2010 @ 8:31 PM
  Ron, I would rebuild what you have. It's a much better motor. Unless you are going to show the car in the concourse class there's no reason to look around for a 21 stud motor. Finding a good crack free 21 stud motor can be a big challenge. If you are a V-8 Club member you should use your roster and call V-8ers in your area. I'll bet they can recommend a good shop to check and rebuild your motor.

supereal    -- 11-15-2010 @ 10:52 AM
  How did you determine the oil pump failed? If the engine didn't rattle or seize, it may be OK. I'd check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge installed in place of the sender. Complete oil pump failure isn't usual. Occasionally we see where the pickup tube has separated from the pump body. That is why we braze them to prevent the swedged joint from coming apart.

rbone    -- 11-15-2010 @ 12:58 PM
  Thanks for the replies. I am not certain the oil pump failed. When I restored the car, I put an oil pressure guage in the glove box. The guage was not reading pressure this past weekend. I pulled the filter canister top and there was no oil in the canister. I then removed the oil line between the port just above the pressure sending unit and the filter canister. The line was clean (no clogs) and the channel in the block appears to be clear as well. I cranked the motor for a couple of seconds and no oil came out of the hole above the sending unit. There is plenty of oil in the pan. I plan to remove the pan and look at the pump this weekend.

Please keep the information coming.
Ron

39 Ken    -- 11-16-2010 @ 3:49 AM
  Some years ago, I had this same condition in a '39 truck engine. The pump had not failed, but the pick-up tube had broken off at a weld and just stopped picking up oil. We reconnected the pick-up tube which fixed the problem. Fortunately, there was no damage to the engine. Good luck. Ken

rbone    -- 11-21-2010 @ 4:40 PM
  Well, I dropped the pan and the oil pick-up tube weld had indeed broken off. Thanks for the heads up about this. There was some sludge and a very little bit of metal in the pan, but it looks like the motor will be fine. I will replace the tube and get it back together hopefully this next week. I will let you know how she sounds when I get her cranked back up.

Thanks again,
Ron

rbone    -- 12-31-2010 @ 4:18 PM
  Thank you all. I got her going again today (it look a while working around the holidays). It sounds fine, runs as smooth as always, and has plenty of oil pressure. While I have the car on jack stands, I plan to do a few other things as well.

Thanks again,
Ron

trjford8    -- 12-31-2010 @ 5:39 PM
  Thanks for the update.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2176