Topic: Can you identify this bumper?

barnsmith    -- 11-14-2010 @ 5:27 PM
  Anyone know what this bumper went to? It has a hole for the engine crank.

Bob

trjford8    -- 11-14-2010 @ 8:19 PM
  To my knowledge it is not a Ford bumper. I don't recall any Ford bumper having a hole in it for the crank.

TomO    -- 11-15-2010 @ 9:12 AM
  It is hard to tell from the photo, but it looks similar to the 1940 Ford bumper. Could the crank hole been installed after mounting the bumper and finding that the crank hole was obstructed?

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-15-2010 @ 1:16 PM
  looks like a 37 car bumper upside down, being that truck was modified over the years, I think some one added the crank hole, it is and never was used on any FORD I ever saw,
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

SDExpoman    -- 11-18-2010 @ 10:33 AM
  Here is a closer picture of the bumper.

Bob

nelsb01    -- 11-18-2010 @ 1:51 PM
  I'm going with the upside down 1937 bumper with a custom hole in it.
Of course, that is at least a 1949 engine behind it.

Stroker    -- 11-18-2010 @ 3:05 PM
  I also will vote for it being 37-40 Ford bumper. If you look real close at the last photo,
the two notches for the starter crank drive dogs are not quite square with the top of the bumper,
and rather than appearing to be stamped, or broached, they appear to have been drilled, and then probably filed to connect with the central hole. In all the years of growing up with a fleet of 30's and 40's Ford cars and trucks, I cannot recall ever using the crank on one of them. Booster cables were invented for a reason.

Trivia Questions!

1. What was the last year that Ford placed an access port in the grille for a crank?
2. Was Henry Ford still alive when it was eliminated?
3. Would he have "rolled over in his grave"?

C Jones    -- 11-19-2010 @ 9:40 PM
  It looks to me like a 37 or 38 Pontiac front bumper that has some extra holes drilled in it to mount it to the Ford bumper braces. I used to have a 37 Pontiac and it looks familiar.

42wagon    -- 11-20-2010 @ 4:55 AM
  Stroker
The last year with a vertical grille was 42 and yes my 42 has the port in the grille for the crank as well as a support bracket for the crank just inside the grille. In 46 Ford went to horizontal grilles so no hole was necessary.

But wait a minute! A new inner splash pan #8208 in front of the radiator was issued in 46 and was continued through 48. It still has the hole for the crank to go through. The 59A engine still has the crank ratchet. So if you have the mind (and arms) to attempt to crank a 48 you could do it. That is if you can find a crank long enough to reach the engine from in front of the car.

Now Henry died in 47 so he lived to see his cars still capable(?) of being crank started.

Did Henry turn over in his grave in 49 when all his pet features, the transverse springs, torque tube drive, front mounted distributor, and maybe even the crank ratchet disappeared?

Stroker    -- 11-20-2010 @ 7:03 AM
  42:

I think he prolly rolled over in 49, again when his grandson settled with Harry Fergueson,
and once more with the Edsel.

ford38v8    -- 11-20-2010 @ 10:43 AM
  Had he his wits about him at the time, old Henry would have rejoiced at his grandson's being strong enough to fire Bennett. Henry had from the first been an advocate of leadership by the strongest. Survival of the fittest was the theme of the Ford Motor Company under Henry Ford.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2175