Topic: 1935-36 Windshield Wiper

admiral1960    -- 10-29-2009 @ 8:24 AM
  I have a 1935 FORDOR DELUXE SEDAN with one wiper. It works kind of, but the tension of the blade on the windshield is very light and the blade wants to flutter badly and fall off at higher speeds.

Is there an electric wiper motor that drops in without a lot of rework and performs satisfactorilly ?

Allen E Michler
AW1, USNR (10 yrs)
LTC, TC, USAR (29 yrs)

wmsteed    -- 10-29-2009 @ 9:16 AM
  If your engine is in good shape, providing the proper amount of vacuum, and the wiper motor is also in good shape the wiper should work well.
Cleaning the motor and adding some neatsfoot/mink oil to the leather paddle might help the motor to work better.
** Many times I have put a few few drops of oil into the vacuum port on a wiper motor, worked the shaft back and forth, which resulted in the motor working very well.
The problem of the blade not having tension and/or coming off is most likely the result of the wrong arm and blade.
The original '35 arm is round, mid '36 is flat, spring loaded, with a "bail" type attachment to the motor shaft. The Delux cars usually have dual wipers which are driven by an exposed "slave" rod attached to the main wiper arm.
With the passage of time, the wipers are typical of many items on the older cars. Wiper arms and blades were modified and/or replaced with more readily available, one size fits all type of parts.
Several parts vendors have small electric wiper motors, however I doubt if any of them will fit in your header panel.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

admiral1960    -- 10-29-2009 @ 9:27 AM
  The wiper motor works fine. The blade and arm are correct.

I would like to replace with a drop in electric motor with a arm that has more tension.

Allen E Michler
AW1, USNR (10 yrs)
LTC, TC, USAR (29 yrs)

Hal    -- 10-29-2009 @ 9:40 AM
  I have a 36 Ford, and after fighting the vaccum wiper
for a while I finally took it off and threw it away.
I ordered a wiper system from www.newportwipers.com
(800-829-1929).It took me about 2-3 hours to install
and it works like a charm. Now I have 2 wipers instead of one. Now more junk to mess with.

admiral1960    -- 10-29-2009 @ 12:53 PM
  Thank you,

Checked them out and while pricyey look to have good equipment.

Allen E Michler
AW1, USNR (10 yrs)
LTC, TC, USAR (29 yrs)

trjford8    -- 10-29-2009 @ 7:07 PM
  Check with the V-8 parts suppliers as most carry electric wiper units. Most sell the one from Vintique. It's a little cheaper and works well.

admiral1960    -- 10-29-2009 @ 11:15 PM
  Here is another web site for a wiper motor that sounds very good but very high priced.

http://www.pacificwesterndesign.com/Mighty/index.htm

Allen E Michler
AW1, USNR (10 yrs)
LTC, TC, USAR (29 yrs)

TomO    -- 10-30-2009 @ 9:29 AM
  If the blade is floppy and wants to come off, you either have the wrong arm or the wrong blade or the arm is worn out. Changing to an electric motor without changing the arm and blade will not improve your wiper performance, if your only problem is a floppy blade.

If as you say, the motor works fine and the blade and arm are correct and not worn out, your wiper should work fine.

Tom

admiral1960    -- 10-30-2009 @ 10:01 AM
  I will check the arm & blade but pretty sure they are correct and not worn

Allen E Michler
AW1, USNR (10 yrs)
LTC, TC, USAR (29 yrs)

tommorookian    -- 11-02-2009 @ 3:01 AM
  Yo, HAL The newport wiper system looks great. Does this fit completely behind the header panel with no modifications?

What kind of blade attachments do they have that go on the end of the shaft? Is it the hook and spring or a tapered end or like the modern wipers with the splined 3/4" cup?

Hal    -- 11-02-2009 @ 2:50 PM
  There is a simple mod. After you remove the header panel, you remove the vacuum wiper. You install a
template, to the existing wiper holehole with a supplied nut & bolt. On the opposite side of the template is a hole you drill for the passenger side wiper. Drill both holes to 5/16". Install transmission mounting bracket, then the motor, then the wiring. It's
so simple a cave man can do it.
The wipers are spring loaded on top, and very modern.
The wipers and arms are 9.5" long. Hope this helps

JakeTse    -- 03-18-2018 @ 11:57 PM
  I think the best wiper blades nowadays won't have such a problem. Most latest windshield wipers have installation system that enable users to mount them on the windshield easily and they won't fall off easily.
https://www.cfone.net/best-wiper-blades.html

This message was edited by JakeTse on 4-15-18 @ 6:49 PM

woodiewagon46    -- 03-19-2018 @ 7:16 AM
  Admiral, before you start tearing things apart and drilling holes, why not search for someone that can restore or replace your original wiper. There are "Services Offered" sections in most antique car related magazines and that would be the first place I would look. Granted, the vacuum wipers had some issues, but in reality how often are you going to be driving your "35 in rainstorms. As others have suggested you might have the wrong wiper arm or shaft issues.

flatheadfan    -- 03-19-2018 @ 7:51 AM
  I was also had a problem with the "fly-away" wiper arm especially with speeds over 45 mph. But, no more. I made a simple stop and bolted it on to the wiper motor shaft. I haven't lost a wiper blade or arm in years!

Tom

kirkstad    -- 03-19-2018 @ 10:19 AM
  It sounds to me that your motor is ok,but the spring tension on the arm is weak.I had the same problem with my 36, the arm was so weak it couldn't even hold a paper flyer at a car show, I just replaced the arm which solved the problem. I also use a window cleaner called rain-x and the few times I have been caught in a down pour I didn't even need the wiper,the rain would just bead up and blow away.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=217