Topic: RED HEAD HEATER Question

admiral1960    -- 11-09-2010 @ 5:28 PM
  I have a 35 FORDOR DELUXE SEDAN that years ago had a "DeLuxe RED HEAD HEATER" installed in it.

When I went to have an exhaust sytem instaled there was a little fire and long story short the muffler shop's insurance paid for a lot of restoration.

I got rid of the heater as I figured I would never need it. I moved to Central Washington and it does get nippy in the winter. I started looking for a heater just like the other one and found one on ebay for $10.00 within an hour's drive of home.

The motor works and the radiator looks good but have not tested it.

It does need to be painted. It appears to be a metallic grey.

Does anyone know the paint color by name or code/mixture number ?

Also, the trm with the Red Head name on it needs to be refurbished. There is a blue paint used on the trim.

Does anyone know the color name or code/mixture number fo it ?

Will try to attach a picture.

Allen E Michler
AW1, USNR (10 yrs)
LTC, TC, USAR (29 yrs)

supereal    -- 11-10-2010 @ 8:45 AM
  We paint the heater housings with "hammertone" gray. It is available at most hardware and paint stores. It is a bit tricky to apply, so be sure that the can is fully shaken before spraying to suspend the mica flakes in the paint.

admiral1960    -- 11-10-2010 @ 10:03 AM
  Hi,

You say "we" in your response.

Are you a business or a restorer ?

I presume you have experience with the Red Head heater so would you mind anwsering a few questions ?

1. Do you bead blast the finish off or do you sand or use chemicals ?

2. Do you restore the cover only or also refinish the vent work under the outside cover ?

3. How do you go about refinishing the trim that is held on by two rivets and some tabs that are bent over?

4. Are there replacement trim parts available ?

5. Are there any replacement parts available for the Red Head heaters?

Thank you for a response !!

Allen E Michler
AW1, USNR (10 yrs)
LTC, TC, USAR (29 yrs)

supereal    -- 11-10-2010 @ 12:20 PM
  Allen: The "we" are my sons and I. We operate a large machine shop. The old car hobby is mostly my interest. Whether you blast or checically remove the existing finish depends upon the condition. The last one I did (for my '47) was rusty, so I glass beaded the cover and the doors, then applied a good quality primer before painting. Try to use the same brand of primer as the topcoat, if available. Rust-O-Leum should be avoided, as the top coat usually tends to lift the primer. I prefer to go to bare metal, as it isn't always possible to determine what kind of paint is on the piece, enamel or lacquer. To remove handles, etc, usually the rivets must be ground down. C&G carries some heater knobs if yours must be replaced. See page 232 in their on-line catalog: www.cgfordparts.com
Heaters were made for Ford by a number of vendors. Most of them are now gone. I found my heater in a Missouri junkyard.

TomO    -- 11-11-2010 @ 7:35 AM
  Allen,

The Red Head heater is an after-market heater sold by accessory vendors like Western Auto. This makes an accurate restoration difficult. I would find colors that are close to the colors on the heater.

When doing a restoration, it is always better to disassemble as much as you can and restore the parts individually. If you just intend to refurbish or do a cosmetic restoration, you can mask off areas to be painted a different color. Be aware that there may be hidden rust, wax or other contaminants that may spoil your paint job in the future.

Tom

admiral1960    -- 11-11-2010 @ 8:12 AM
  Thank you all for the responses.

Allen E Michler
AW1, USNR (10 yrs)
LTC, TC, USAR (29 yrs)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2156