Topic: Interior block rust removal: will this work?

Savvy    -- 10-28-2009 @ 5:22 PM
  There seems to be a fair amount of scale and rust in my '34 block that hasn't been fired up in 25+ years. I had the radiator reconditioned already. Before installing letting the coolant circulate, I thought I might try to clean out the block as best as I can. My idea is to connect the inlets to an outlets using some flexible pvc hose (hot tub hose). With a T connector in one of the lines, fill the block with 100% vinegar. Hand crank without plugs. Let sit a few days.Drain, repeat until reasonably clean liquid exits.
What do you think?

Cheers!!

ford38v8    -- 10-28-2009 @ 9:15 PM
  savvy, that would certainly take care of any lime deposits, but probably
nothing else. Someone suggested swimming pool acid, but I'd be
concerned about what that would do to the head gaskets.

My suggestion would be to back flush with a garden hose. You might
want to remove the pumps to clear large debris, as stuff will no doubt get
hung in the seals anyway.

Alan

Alan

TomO    -- 10-29-2009 @ 7:34 AM
  If your 34 has the original aluminum heads, I would not use any acid to clean the block. Most of the rust scale will be firmly attached to the cast iron and requires disassembly of the engine in order to effectively remove it.

Tom

dso72    -- 10-29-2009 @ 9:43 AM
  I would not recommend Muriatic acid or 32%Hydrochloric acid to remove scale from your engine block. This would react with the aluminum heads. I have an engine that has been sitting for 50 years and I did the 100% white vinegar trick. It sat for 2 weeks with the vinegar solution then flushed. Repeat if necessary. Not a lot of scale was removed. I let the rinse water sit in a tub allowing the water to evaporate leaving a thick tar like substance in the tub. Better in the tub than your engine.

supereal    -- 10-29-2009 @ 9:54 AM
  Even soaking in our hot tank for days doesn't affect the rust coating in the water jackets. It does remove lime and suspended particles. The rust is the oxidized face of the cast iron, and doesn't affect cooling unless it is loosened and particles clog the radiator tubes. We do use the acid soak if the lime coating is severe, but backwashing with plenty of water will take care of the particles, in most cases.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=215