Topic: 1939 V8

1939ute    -- 11-06-2010 @ 9:42 PM
  My 1939 Ford Ute develops quite a bad miss when driven for a while (about 25km's) The whole thing has been fully restored and has only done one trip but it started to miss quite badly on the way home!! We have since installed new points and condenser and rechecked the carburetor! It starts OK and runs quite nicely prior to heading out but the miss develops! Everything has been done while restoring it including new plugs and plug wires. The coil, while not new, has been checked and was found to be OK! Is there a preferable plug/point setting or some other little hint that will help get the old girl running like it should?? cheer, John

ford38v8    -- 11-06-2010 @ 9:58 PM
  John, a bad distributor can appear good and deliver good spark when it's cold. After running a while, heat buildup will break down the insulation and it will leave you stranded, until it cools down again. Next time your Ute stalls out, pull a plug sire and check for spark. Check it cold first, to have a fair comparison. The fix is not a new coil, but to have the old one rebuilt. I'd recommend Skip Haney as a rebuilder:

Skip Haney www.fordcollector.com
Remanufactured coils and high volume modified water pumps for flatheads

Alan

1939ute    -- 11-07-2010 @ 2:34 AM
  Hello Alan, thanks for the reply, I will get in touch with them! I suppose I should have started with a NOS or recon coil! I will try and get a recon coil from the mob you recommend! Cheers,John

ford38v8    -- 11-07-2010 @ 6:43 PM
  John, I should have made myself more clear: An NOS coil is just as old as one that has been on a car all these years. Age is the culprit with coils, and I wouldn't use a new offshore coil either. Nothing less than a remanufactured original Ford coil fills the bill.

Alan

1939ute    -- 11-08-2010 @ 2:51 AM
  Thanks Alan!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2138