Topic: 34 fordor door etc,.

3334capn    -- 11-03-2010 @ 10:18 AM
  I need right front door with door handle in center...I
have one with the door handle forward and the other three are in middle, which i am told center means late moodel 34....Maybe you can change the location of door handle???

Where can i get body to chassis bolts,nuts washers and
insulation that goes between body/chassis????

On the roof..where can i get a tack strip...this the last piece on the roof, it is riveted in...I have removed the rivets and the tackstrip.................

As you can see i am in need of you all....Thanks rich

This message was edited by 3334capn on 11-3-10 @ 6:05 PM

supereal    -- 11-03-2010 @ 2:41 PM
  A good source of fasteners and materials is LeBaron-Bonney. Their web site is www.lebaronbonney.com. e-mail: lbb-hc@greennet.net You didn't mention the model type of your car. There are lots of '34 experts out there, and that info will help them.

3334capn    -- 11-03-2010 @ 5:59 PM
  this is a 34 fordor, the ser: # is 40 4725xx (six digits)..Yes vehicle starts with a 40 not 18 why? and experts i have ask reply "there have been numerous reports 34 fords starting with 40)". there are no other identifing markings. there was a pat plate, couldn't read anything...

SUREAL: the bolts are not available for MACS or Lebaon/bonney.

What have others used?? for installation rubber between chassis and body???
Thanks rich

TomO    -- 11-04-2010 @ 9:19 AM
  Your serial number indicates an early car, about 15000 out of 776878. The door handle change was made very early in the model year and most 1934 cars had the door handle in the center.

You can purchase the body to frame webbing from Dennis Carpenter and Roy Nacewicz may have your bolts. Roy may also have the webbing.

LeBaron Bonney should be able to supply the tack strip for the roof.

http://www.dennis-carpenter.com/

http://www.fordscript.com/

I would recommend that you buy the V-8 Club's 1933-1934 book. It can be purchased at the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum tiffany@fordv8foundation.org

or on the home page of this site.

Tom

3334capn    -- 11-07-2010 @ 8:30 PM
  TomO....tks for the info...foordscript.com is a great site..Roy is real down to earth guy...

The tack strip has yet to be found.....Roy has reecommended spadaro the search goes on.

still need to know if anyone has a RIGHT front door
with door handle in the middle for this fordor......
thanks rich

3334capn    -- 11-16-2010 @ 6:38 PM
  TomO
after due consideration..i have decided to express my
opinion concerning the 33/34 ford book (restoration).
You not the only mamber of the v-8 club that has touted this book...its must have, etc,..etc,....
I BEG ALL OF NOT TELL PEOPLE THAT THIS IS A MUST HAVE BOOK..iT DOES NOT SHOW YOU HANDFUL STUFF AND YOU CAN EVEN USE TO RESTORE ANYTHING...WHAT WE NEED IS HOW TOS::::I.E., HOW INSTALL THE ROOF *START TO FINSH*;
hOW TO YNSTALL THE FRONT FENDERS GRILL, RAD...

ALL THE BOOK HAS IS A BUNCH OF NICE THINGS TO SEE..
ITS A SHAME TO SPEND 65.00 ON NOTHING...

SORRY TO PUT TO YOU LIKE THAT, BUT GET A LITTLE UPSET
WHEN PEOPLE ARE TOUTING A BOOK THAT IS NOT A RESTORATION BOOK...RICHARD

Savvy    -- 11-16-2010 @ 7:37 PM
  I'm gonna side with 3334capn on this.
Don't get me wrong.....
I own, review and like the book tons....
I find it very helpful in showing what it likely should look like...
It's just limited when it comes to hands on stuff.

ford38v8    -- 11-16-2010 @ 9:49 PM
  33334capn & savvy, None of the club's books are intended to educate the would-be restorer on methods and techniques. These skills are best learned first hand at Community Colleges or at Regional Group tech shops if your group has one. Ask at a meeting, others have been there, done that, and would be glad to help or instruct.

What our books do extremely well is to inform the reader on matters of what his car was like when it left the assembly line back in the day. What was the exact material, texture, and color of top material, what was the finish on the bolts used to hold the grille in place? The air cleaner had which decal where? Which manifold is correct for my car? Top irons painted or plated? All these questions and hundreds more are answered in captioned pictures and paragraphs of text. Years of research on original cars and in Ford archives, dedicated V8ers contributing their time, experience, and knowledge to insure that restorers have the right answers to the way it was.

I'm sorry you consider our books "nothing". If you want "nice things to see", go to a neighborhood car show. If you want to see a correctly restored Ford, go to an EFV8CA Meet Concourse. Those are the guys who read our books.

Alan

TomO    -- 11-17-2010 @ 9:10 AM
  Thanks Alan for defending my suggestion. I will continue to advise people to buy the Club's books, because they are the best reference to a correct restoration.

There are many 'how to' books on the market, but IMHO most of them are not worth the price as they are too general to be of much help. The best 'how to' advice comes from the different forums and other Club members.

Tom

34billct    -- 11-17-2010 @ 1:52 PM
  I just love people that want information but disable ther ID and PM

Stroker    -- 11-17-2010 @ 3:10 PM
  3334capn:

In defense of the books, I believe you have to consider that they are excellent reference material, and only that. As others have stated, they are not intended to be DIY how-to tutorials. There is generally more than one way to skin a cat, but the true test is what the cat should look like after skinning.

No, they are not perfect, but unless you have spent years accumulating old parts and service manuals, factory bulletins, sales literature, or are old enough, and lucid enough to remember what the car looked like when new, they are absolutely indispensable, and I believe we should thank those who devoted the time and energy to make them as good as they are.

Perhaps as our club grows, someone can come forward with a "how-to" handbook on top insert replacement, although I suspect this has been covered at some point in the past in the V8 Times.

When I had my 38's body off the frame in 1959, I knew of no reproduction sources for body-to-frame insulators, so I simply made my own out of industrial woven flat belting and a gasket punch. As I said, there is more than one way, and you just might discover it. To me, part of the enjoyment of doing a restoration is figuring things out.

3334capn    -- 11-18-2010 @ 5:24 PM
  Well guys... i received an email backin may 2008. and here is a quote..."I know you dont want to buy any more books, but all the info i just gave you is in the excellent 1933-34 ford restoration book which we sell.its full of valuable information and is entertaining to read as well. Its the biggest restoration book the v-8 club has published so far. its loaded with hundreds of very good photos. icanpromise there is no "kit building" or street rod stuff in there
just good RESTORATION INFORMATION....
frank Scheidt

Now does that tell you its restoration book..

ford38v8    -- 11-18-2010 @ 7:05 PM
  Capn, you didn't get a clue from the material Frank sent you that the books didn't have the type of information you wanted? I'm sorry to tell you that you won't find what you want in any of the club books, so don't buy any more. Spend your money instead on correspondence courses in upholstery and welding and auto mechanics. Then put a car together the way you want it.

Alan

deuce_roadster    -- 11-18-2010 @ 9:07 PM
  If none of the information in the 33/34 book is of any use to you, ie "nothing", you must be building a rod of some kind. Anyone actually restoring a 33 or 34 will find the correct info researched in the book to be extremely helpful. None of the club books claim to be or were concieved as assembly manuals.

40 Coupe    -- 11-19-2010 @ 5:18 AM
  Getting back to the 34 4-door, the door inner panel has a different stamping so the base of the center door handle is recessed slightly. By the way a photo of this is pictured in the 33-34 restoration book ( I take all the help I can get). You should be able to find the correct door, although the search may take some time. I would suggest you advertise on this web site as well as fordbarn.com in the wanted section.

3334capn    -- 11-19-2010 @ 7:07 AM
  34 billet if you are talking to me, expain yourself i didnt disable anything

deuce_roadster    -- 11-19-2010 @ 10:50 AM
  If your front latch door is good, you can easily convert it to a center latch door by cutting the needed section of the inner panel out of a junk center latch door and welding this into the door you have. I have done this to an already painted door without harming anything. (the car owner didn't notice this difference until installing the interior) I think you will find it easier to obtain the inner panel that is usable then a good door. Of course if the front latch door isn't that good to start with then look for another door.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2125