Topic: Engine Vibration

RG/NJ    -- 10-28-2009 @ 11:31 AM
  Hi Guys; I installed my original newly rebuilt 40 engine in my car. It was balanced. When i bring up the rpm,s from idle it vibrates. I feel it on the floor boards and in the steering wheel. Any ideas what my problem is?

alanwoodieman    -- 10-28-2009 @ 11:34 AM
  did you balance the flywheel and the cluth? if so did you align them by the balance mark? If this was done I would make sure that the flywheel and the clutch bolts were tight, to vibrate that much some thing is badly out of whack and will kill the engine!!

supereal    -- 10-28-2009 @ 1:10 PM
  Does it vibrate when the clutch pedal is pushed down all the way while the transmission is in gear? If it doesn't, I'd suspect the pilot bearing in the flywheel. If it does, check the crank pulley to see if it is wobbling. Be sure the fan belt is properly adjusted, and doesn't have a chunk out of it. Another place to check is flywheel runout. If the flywheel was properly seated on the dowel before it was tightened to the crank, it shouldn't wobble, either. Finally, be sure that all plug wires are in the right place. Crossed wires will cause vibration, too.

supereal    -- 10-28-2009 @ 1:34 PM
  Does it vibrate when the clutch pedal is pushed down all the way while the transmission is in gear? If it doesn't, I'd suspect the pilot bearing in the flywheel. If it does, check the crank pulley to see if it is wobbling. Be sure the fan belt is properly adjusted, and doesn't have a chunk out of it. Another place to check is flywheel runout. If the flywheel was properly seated on the dowel before it was tightened to the crank, it shouldn't wobble, either. Finally, be sure that all plug wires are in the right place. Crossed wires will cause vibration, too.

RG/NJ    -- 10-30-2009 @ 11:57 AM
  All engine internals were balanced and the flywheel. The pressure plate was not.It was on the engine before rebuild. Had no problems. Only 8000 miles on it. Think i should have it balanced or get a new one. If a new one should i have it balanced. Thanks for all your input.

40guy    -- 10-30-2009 @ 12:44 PM
  After my engine rebuild I too developed a vibration. Only did it after rpm got to a certain point. Discovered the crank ratchet had worked loose allowing the fan to come forward when reved. I considered myself fortunate when I saw where the fan had been brushing the radiator fins. Thightened the ratchet real good and solved everything. Glad I found this before the fan went through the radiator or worse. Just something to check.

flathead4rd    -- 10-30-2009 @ 1:58 PM
  I think fly wheel and pressure plate should be balanced as a unit not separately.

MOXIE    -- 10-30-2009 @ 4:31 PM
  Were the engines in the eary 30's originaly balanced. The crank and flywheel maybe were because you can see the holes that were drilled in them. But I find it hard to believe that they weight each piston assembly and balance all that along with the pressure plate.

supereal    -- 10-31-2009 @ 9:40 AM
  Most, if not all, of the early engines balanced only the crank and flywheel, and often it was a "static" balance, not rotational. Balance was not a big issue with these engines, and many, such as the four cylinder models prior to the early 30's didn't even have counterweights on the crankshaft. As engine speeds increased, more attention was paid, and rod and piston assemblies were weighed to keep them in a closer match. We balance the flywheel and pressure plate as a unit, and mark the installation position. Some vibrations can be caused by a defective clutch disc, if the hub is off center.

RG/NJ    -- 11-04-2009 @ 1:37 PM
  Hi again guys; Took the engine out again and brought it back to the people that did the engine. We put it on his engine stand an ran it. No vibration. I will put it back in this weekend and start looking elsewhere. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Pauls39    -- 11-04-2009 @ 5:26 PM
  Check your motor mounts are they new? The transmission mount can also cause problems. Some of the reproductions were incorrect and transmitted vibration to the cab.

Johns46coupe    -- 10-18-2010 @ 11:40 AM
  RG, Did you ever discover the cause of your engine vibration from back in late 2009? Curious as I have a similar situation.

John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=212