Topic: Ford V8-60

carcrazy    -- 10-28-2009 @ 10:02 AM
  Five questions: 1. Will the 1940 Ford V8-60 flat flywheel fit the 1937 to 1939 Ford V8-60 engine with no other modifications? 2. Who offers the best kit to install the Chevy S10 Borg-Warner 5-Speed manual transmission behind the Ford V8-60 engine? 3. Where is the best place to buy parts for a stock overhaul of the V8-60? 4. Which is the best machine shop to use to have any required work done on a V8-60 in the Monterey Peninsula Area? 5. Who offers a kit to install a 1942 Crab type distributor on the V8-60?

supereal    -- 10-28-2009 @ 2:56 PM
  I'm not sure why you want to spend time and money on a 60. That engine is, for all practical purposes, obsolete. We obtained parts for a 60 some time ago at Little Dearborn in Minnesota. The engine was in a Crosley, and it took much searching to find even the most usual parts. The popularity of the 60 was limited due to the fact it was underpowered for the cars and trucks of the day. It did become popular in the midget racers of the 40's, but only after being fitted with the speed equipment of that era.

TomO    -- 10-29-2009 @ 8:02 AM
  The flywheel P/N for 37-40 60 HP engine is the same, so it should fit. 60HP drive train parts are hard to find. You can try Little Dearborn, Job Lot and Egge. If they don't have the parts that you need, advertise in Hemmings, V-8 Times and on this site as well as the Ford Barn.
I cannot answer your other questions. Speedway offers a plate that will adapt the 42-48 distributor to replace the 37-41 distributor on the 85-95 engines, but I don't know if it has the correct configuration for the 60 HP. I would stick with the original distributor as the later distributor would not offer any performance or reliability improvements.

Before you spend any money on parts for the engine, have it examined for suitability for rebuilding. The pre 1940 engines had a reputation for rusting the steel sides of the block and there is no reliable way to replace them.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 10-29-2009 @ 10:10 AM
  Tom, Thanks for the advice. Mine is a 1938 or 1939 engine of full cast iron construction. Since I don't have a distributor for the engine, I was hoping to go with the 1942 unit, to save expense (once adapted to the engine), improve the looks, and free up space at the front of the engine for an electric cooling fan. Currently all of the valves are stuck open. Do you have any advice for freeing them up? Also do you know if a pickle bar for an 85 HP engine will work on a V8-60? Thanks again.

MTLott    -- 10-29-2009 @ 10:10 AM
  "I'm not sure why you want to spend time and money on a 60."

... another wet blanket.

V8-60's are more popular than ever.

Crazy, try the following link:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348205&highlight=flathead+60hp

kelroy    -- 10-29-2009 @ 4:20 PM
  Come on guys, for all practical purposes ALL flatheads are obsolete, but that's part of the reason we like them! If he wants to restore a 60, I think that's great and we should help all we can. I recently sold a '37 with a 60 and it was the smoothest running engine I've ever had!

TomO    -- 10-30-2009 @ 9:50 AM
  The 37-41 distributors are plentiful and reasonable in price. I see 37-41 distributors priced about the same as the 42-48 distributors at swap meets. The points and condensers for both style of distributors are priced comparably.

Both should be set up on a distributor machine by someone who is familiar with the distributors. The current supply of points are not of the quality that was prevalent 20 years ago. Some have springs that do not hold their tension, others come with too little tension and others have internal shorts. All of these conditions can be easily detected when set up on a distributor machine and difficult to diagnose with the distributor on the car.

I don't see much space saving in adding the adapter plate and then the distributor and cap from a 42 on your engine. If you are putting the engine into a Ford car or truck from 37-40, you should have plenty of room to install an electric fan.

To free the valves, any penetrating oil will dissolve the varnish, if they are rusted in place, I don't know of any solution other than replacing the valves and guides. The valve bar for the 85 HP engine should work on your engine.

Tom

wmsteed    -- 11-02-2009 @ 9:29 AM
  I know a man that has a '48 MG, which he bought new, that has a '40 V8-60 trk eng in the MG. The engine is pretty well full race, with a '42 crab style distributor cap on a Mallory ignition. My friend installed the engine in about 1952 because he was racing the car and the original would not stay together. The engine has not been a part since it was installed in '52.. The car has not been raced in close to 40 years, other than drippy water pumps the engine is in great shape.
I gave my friend Skip Haney's address for him to send his water pumps into, to get them rebuilt.

H & H Flatheads in La Crescenta, CA www.flatheads-forever.com... They usually have a full page ad in the V8 Times which states they rebuild V8- 60's.

I recently ran into a man that was gathering parts for a V8-60 to put in an MG... He got real excited when I sent him pic's and info about the conversion...

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

carcrazy    -- 11-02-2009 @ 11:34 AM
  Bill, Thanks for the V8-60 info. I'll follow-up with the folks who will work on V8-60's.

supereal    -- 11-02-2009 @ 1:11 PM
  I'm not trying to be a "wet blanket", only to point out that finding parts for the 60HP can be a really tough (and expensive) search, particularly for the early types. We have done a few of those, and you have to know which you have, paticularly for parts such as waterpumps, because the two types don't interchange. Most of the 60's we've seen were used in non-Ford cars, such as Crosleys, MGs, etc, due to their size. In a full sized car or truck, they are very weak.

MTLott    -- 11-03-2009 @ 7:03 AM
  With all respect, you may not appreciate what you are posting.

Carcrazy asked 5 questions about his V8-60. He even numbered them.

He did not ask for opinions or whether any of us approved of what he was doing. In fact, he didn't tell us how he was going to use the engine.

Your response was similar to your earlier post re: the K R Wilson distributor fixture. Instead of answering the guy's questions you persisted in going on about the virtues of the Sun machine ... even though the guy said he was already having his distributors strobed and was only curious about the KR Wilson.

This is a hobby for most of us, and a good many of us waste our time (and money) pursuing interests that may not make sense to someone who makes a business out of this hobby like you seem to be doing.

Indulge us please. Let us be foolish.

If nothing else, consider that if someone posts here and does not get the information and support they need, they will go to other sites like the HAMB where plenty of guys will help them.

Again, with all respect, this is a hobby ... it does not always have to make sense to you ... or me ...

Incidently, you like Sun machines? Why would anyone spend time and money of this one ...

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t112/lashlarue/SunMachDirty.jpg

This message was edited by MTLott on 11-3-09 @ 7:23 AM

supereal    -- 11-03-2009 @ 9:36 AM
  The answer to your question is that I wouldn't waste time or money on a Sun machine in that condition, but the two we have are frequently used to diagnose, repair, and adjust point-style distributors. I'm truly sorry you seem to believe I am posting for personal gain, or that I belittle questioners. I don't solicit business for our shop, as we are already backlogged by weeks or months. My aim is to assist those who ask, with help based on experience that began in the 40's. Many members are non-mechanics. If a pointer can help them fix a problem, or provide a resource, it will enhance their interest in their cars. Perhaps I have misunderstood the purpose of this Forum. If so, perhaps it is us old timers who are "foolish".

wmsteed    -- 11-03-2009 @ 4:18 PM
  This internet thing has one very big drawback. People can sit behind the anonymity of their computer, taking pot shots at others, who might not agree with their thinking, then evaporate into the shadows of the cyber world.
In defense of Super... In all the years I have been on the EFV8 Forum I have never read any of his postings that were anything other than an attempt to provide information about the repair and/or maintenance of the EFV8... Sure he has some favorite brands of oil and coolants, don't we all.
The debate to use, or not use thermostats, mechanical brakes vs. hydraulics, will never end because all of the above fall into the same category as women. Everyone has a idea as to what works best for them.
I think Super responded to the question about V8 60's in a very straight forward manner.... from his experience they are very hard to work on, and parts for them are very pricey.
Actually my response was not very close to the question (s)... true, I did touch on the '42 style crab distr on a V8-60, but I drifted off onto engines that were built for performance,and installed into non Ford vehicles, in lieu of stock.....SHAME ON ME!!!
I guess when it comes right down to it, guys like Super and I have most likely forgotten more about old Fords than most of the contributors to this forum ever knew.
There was a time, many years ago, when I could remove, repair, re-install, a transmission in a pre '48 Ford in less than two hours without the benefit of a hoist, using nothing but bumper/axle jacks and hand tools.....Air tools??? they are for wimps.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

ford38v8    -- 11-03-2009 @ 5:59 PM
  So Bill.... What was it about the '48 Fords that made you take so long?

Alan

MTLott    -- 11-04-2009 @ 4:17 AM
  One more time, and without getting sidetracked into issues like big drawbacks of the internet.

Read what I wrote.

"This is a hobby for most of us, and a good many of us waste our time (and money) pursuing interests that may not make sense to someone who makes a business out of this hobby like you seem to be doing."

That means you obviously have a different perspective on time and money than those who are pure hobbyists. Personal gain? I hope your business IS profitable. God bless anyone who works for a buck.

I'm puzzled at why all the defense about, "I'm not sure why you want to spend time and money on a 60."

That simply was not good advice. This is the discussion forum for the Early Ford V8 Club of America where "we are dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all Ford Motor Company vehicles built between 1932 and 1953."

So, if I have a '38 Ford with a V8-60 ... it's a waste of time and money to restore or perserve it?

There are plenty of old cars with engines that "are very hard to work on, and parts for them are very pricey." Some are also VERY unpowered and the parts are not just pricey but impossible to find and must be fabricated.

The V8-60 is a worthwhile project for anyone interested, if that's the issue. "I'm not sure why you want to spend time and money on a 60" is not straight forward, it is harsh and does not reflect the current high interest in the engine.

TomO    -- 11-04-2009 @ 7:39 AM
  MTLott, I don't know what you have against Supereal, but if you are a regular user of this Forum, you should recognize that people do make offhand remarks occasionally and that should not result in a tirade against that person.

Carcrazy received the information that he was looking for and that should end the discussion.

Tom

48TCV860    -- 10-31-2016 @ 11:25 PM
  I just got my '37 tin side 60 back from the machine shop. Took over my dads restoration of a 48 TC fitted with this motor. Been in pieces for over 40 years. Will post as I go.

Painting engine now, have complete, but worries about dist. Have original (parts are easy), but also have a HC 1400 complete but looks worn. Any ideas on parts.

Also, your pic is the exact set up my dad ran, I have edelbrock heads with Edelbrock intake and dual Stromberg 81's

I know this is an old thread, but I too have a couple of T-5's to run with this and am looking for how Who's turned out

trjford8    -- 11-01-2016 @ 7:04 AM
  MTLott, Bob(supereal) is a real gentleman who has given great advice on here for numerous years. He's helped the "newbie' and the "oldie". His comments about the V-8 60 were spot on regarding the difficulty of finding parts and finding people to rebuild them. Little Dearborn parts was mentioned as a source of parts for these motors, but they recently downsized and rid themselves of most all of their NOS parts. Probably got rid of the 60 stuff as most people do not rebuild them. Supereal's post was a simple warning that rebuilding a 60 could be a real challenge. I think your post was off base with it's criticism of him.
In your post I did not see you give any advice to carcrazy as to where he could get parts, where he could get a transmission adapter, where he could find a machine shop, and what distributor would fit. Answering those questions would have been much more appropriate and made you look more like a real V-8er than attacking someone who was trying to tell someone the pitfalls of rebuilding a certain motor.
Every person on this forum is here to help each other. In the future you might consider offering help than criticism.

TomO    -- 11-01-2016 @ 7:47 AM
  48TCV860,

I would start a new discussion on your car as this one is too long already and does not offer any up to date information.

You should also visit the HAMB. That site is devoted to modified cars and engines, so there is more experience in your type of vehicle over there.

I cannot give you any help on adapters for the T5 transmission.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 11-01-2016 @ 11:28 AM
  48TCV860,

The bellhousing adapters available from Speedway for this swap were missdrilled and rejected by my machine shop.
I wound up using an adapter from Cornhusker's but they would not sell me just the adapter so I had to buy a hydraulic clutch setup and some other items from them - expensive!
Speedway now offers a Flathead 9" clutch disc with Chevy S-10 splines for this swap.
Most of the parts I used to rebuild the V8-60 came from Little Dearborn - expensive!
I wound up using a "Driver's Helmet" distributor from 1937 to 1941 Ford V8s with the original points setup and an aftermarket coil adapter, available from the many Early Ford V-8 vendors.
The 12V coil I used is a new Bosch unit for a 12V VW Beetle.

39 Ken    -- 11-02-2016 @ 4:05 AM
  Carcrazy, I may have missed it but what are you using the "60" engine to power?
Any pictures?
Ken

carcrazy    -- 11-02-2016 @ 12:02 PM
  The V8-60 is going into a 1947 Crosley CC Sedan. No photos at this time.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=211