Topic: Stormberg 97 adjustable jets

Old Henry    -- 10-31-2010 @ 4:38 PM
  I've just heard of adjustable jets available for the Stromberg 97 carb. Tell me more about them and where to get them.

Still Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 10-31-2010 @ 5:03 PM
  I found not only the ones for the Stromberg 97 but also ones for the Holly 94 from Charlie Price's Vintage Speed. Look like great ideas for my Pike's Peak climb.

Still Old Henry

sturgis 39    -- 11-03-2010 @ 9:53 PM
  SPEEDWAY SELLS ADJUSTABLE JETS FOR 97'S.

Stroker    -- 11-04-2010 @ 4:20 PM
  "Still" Old Henry:

I suggested the adjustable main jets, since as an ancient pilot, mixture control at high altitude is part of the normal process of driving (old) airplanes. Model T's, and A's had convenient combination choke and mixture controls, and timing that could be tweaked from the drivers seat.

A word of caution though, and that is that you need to establish some base-lines through plug readings before you inadvertently lean your motor out enough to hurt it. T's and A's had such low compression that a lean mixture simply meant you went slower. Ancient aircraft likewise would simply quit "pulling" when they got too lean.

Driving around a lower elevations with a mixture that you have leaned-out in order to drive at
extreme elevations will probably result in some burned valves, if not worse. As an RC enthusiast, I'm sure you are very aware of this, but for others who might opt for adjustable
main jets, there are hazards of very lean mixtures.

If plug readings are not your cup of tea, I'd suggest an exhaust pyrometer installed in the "Y-pipe" as close to the manifolds as practicable. Lean and/or retarded will be hotter, rich and/or advanced (up to the point of detonation) will be cooler.

Old Henry    -- 11-04-2010 @ 4:51 PM
  Since I am not confident that I could re-adjust the adjustable jets for lower altitudes, (I blew a real nice go-cart engine once leaning it out too much while going top speed) probably what I'll do is put high altitude jets in my spare 94 carb and take it along. If the car just will no longer go up hill with my standard 97 carb I'll swap it for the high altitude 94 which will not only have the leaner jets but also larger diameter for more air. I'd really like to see if I can make it on the standard set up, even if it's slow. If not, it's only about a 10 minute job to switch carbs.

Thanks for all of the good advice.

I not only fly R/C planes but simulated ones on the computer so am very familiar with mixture adjustments for altitude changes. I just don't have the expertise or equipment to do it right on my car.

Still Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 11-4-10 @ 4:53 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2107