Topic: Clutch alignment

ole_Bill    -- 10-30-2010 @ 2:10 AM
  I'm having a strange problem with clutch alignment. When I install the clutch/pressure plate to the flywheel using the alignment tool I can visually look into the center hole (after removing the tool) and the hole in the clutch plate is not centered around the hole in the crank. However when I rotate the clutch plate (using the alignment tool and no pressure plate) the clutch has no wobble and seems to be perfectly aligned with the outer rim of the flywheel. Why would the hole in the clutch fail to line up with the hole in the crank?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-30-2010 @ 6:48 AM
  ole bill
when aligning up the clutch assembley. was the tool straight ahead position ? if was at a slight angle the disc could will be off to one side just a little,
the pressure plate will be on ok but disc will be off,
I would insert the tool and measure from one side to another to see if the same,
IF NOT just loosen the pressure plate and move it till it is straight and then tighten it up,
is the tool a old input shaft or a plastic or wooden tool ?
any play in the tool will throw it out,
lets hear how you made out,
37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN!!!!!!!!!!!

supereal    -- 10-30-2010 @ 10:06 AM
  Ragtop is right. The centering tools, particularly the plastic "universal" type, are often inadequate and don't match either the pilot bearing or the clutch disk exactly as required. Being off just a few thousandths will make matching the transmission with the clutch assembly difficult during reassembly. However, if you do manage to get them together, the disk will center the first time the clutch is released. We file a small chamfer in the transmission side of the disk hub groove faces before installation to make the job easier.

ole_Bill    -- 11-02-2010 @ 6:07 AM
  Problem solved. I pulled the pilot bushing that was installed in the flywheel and replaced it with a roller bearing. Everything lines up fine now. Apparently the center hole in the bushing was off-center, worn, or out of round, or all three.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2098