Topic: Ford Motor Company of Canada

ravi.avalur    -- 10-30-2010 @ 1:00 AM
  The 1937 Ford Phaeton that I am restoring was supplied by the Ford Motor Company of Canada, in October 1937, to the then official Ford Dealer in Bombay.

The car is right hand control.

Would the color schemes, available options or even technical specifications of this car have been been any different from what was being supplied in the US ? Apart from the fact that it is right hand drive.

supereal    -- 10-30-2010 @ 9:55 AM
  I can't directly answer your question, but the Ford Motor Company had plants around the world, and they often made models not sold in the U.S. These included the "slopers" and "utes" made "down under", and others, such as the English Fords. While they did operate under a broad umbrella of the Ford blue oval, the plants were virtually autonomous. Usually, it had to do with patents, taxation, and other trade related factors, as well as to address local vehicle needs and preferences. Thus, determining "offshore" correctness is difficult.

35ragtop    -- 11-01-2010 @ 12:52 PM
  Hi ravi.avalur,
our experience down under has been that most things seem to the same as the USA, with a few variations. The standard colours were available .I have found that most US bits fit.A couple of noticable variation on the 35 have been- accelerator peddle ,door latches, air cleaner(we have a big oil bath type cos of the dust and gravel roads at the time). Im sure there are others but cant think of them at present.
As supereal pointed out our body shapes were different in some cases but I know in New Zealand the Canada cars were all USA shapes.
Happy Restoring

ford38v8    -- 11-01-2010 @ 6:10 PM
  Ravi, as others have pointed out, plants in locations other than the US were free to deliver what they perceived to be the market preference for that locality. Export vehicles were produced by Ford of Canada, and would be made according to the Canadian specifications, no matter where they were to be shipped. If your car was produced in Canada, this would be the case. If it was assembled in Bombay, it may have features unique to that locality.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2097