Topic: Floaters

Gene N.    -- 10-26-2010 @ 7:03 PM
  Many brake dicussions talk about floaters What are they talking about

ford38v8    -- 10-26-2010 @ 9:02 PM
  Gene, Floaters are after market items to convert a '36, '37, or '38 Ford mechanical brake adjusting system to that of a '49 Ford. It consists of a star adjuster, to be used with a brake spoon, which turns a shaft having a left and a right hand thread, thereby expanding or contracting the arc of the shoes. The floaters are so named due to the free floating of this shaft, allowing equal initial contact of both shoes.

To install floaters, the internal dust cover is removed, usually by cranking the wedge in to press the covers off. The wedge continues to crank forward until it comes out also. The shoe fingers are removed, and the floaters go in. Dust cover is replaced, and the wedge is cut from the square end of the original adjuster, which is then replaced as an external dust cover. The upper two original springs are replaced with a single spring from a '39 model, while the lower two springs remain as original.

The finished job is not detectable without dismantling the system. The benefit of floaters is tremendous, as they permit the brake shoes to always make simultaneous contact, rather than hit and miss. No more pulling to the left or right, always remaining in balance when properly adjusted.

There is another altogether different system for the '34 Ford, which does not fit the later Ford. The maker of this system also calls his product a Floater. He has a video out, but not having knowledge of the '34 system, I don't understand his system or know of its benefit.

Alan

carguy    -- 10-27-2010 @ 5:55 AM
  Can anyone provide a link to the video covering the floaters for the '34 please.

Gene N.    -- 10-27-2010 @ 5:26 PM
  Thanks Alan You gave a great description and I kind of thought that might be the case It is guys like you that make this a great site and if someone does know the video post so we can see it I do own a 34 with 47 brakes on it
Thanks again
Gene

35ragtop    -- 10-28-2010 @ 8:37 PM
  Hi Guys,
check out www.flatheadted.com I put a set of his brake equallisers on my 35 . Very easy to fit and he recons that you should be able to lock up the rears at 40mph. Obviously you need to do all the other adjustments too. He has a video and speciallises in Model A s and early V8 s
My V8 is not on the road yet so time will tell

ford38v8    -- 10-28-2010 @ 9:41 PM
  Gene, You're very welcome, and I thank you for your kind words.
35ragtop, yes, flathead Ted has the other system for the earlier cars that I mentioned.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2082