Topic: clutch pedal free play

blarge    -- 10-25-2010 @ 6:08 PM
  I adjusted the clutch today on my 46 Mercury. With the engine off, there is 1 1/2 inch free play, but when you start the engine and let it run at normal idle speed, the free play reduces to 3/4 inch. If you rev it to about 2000 RPM there is no more free play.
I know there are centrifugal forces that move the fingers up, but is the free play amount I have OK?
Are the specs for free play of the clutch pedal for when the engine if off? Bill Large

40guy    -- 10-25-2010 @ 6:44 PM
  Drive the car afew miles and check the adjustment/freeplay again. If everything is as it should be, 1 1/2 in. of free play is to spec. with the engine off.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-26-2010 @ 1:07 PM
  check you clutch linkage for wear,
the fingers only tighten the disc to the flywheel,
and should not make any difference,and this is at higher revs,
does the pedal tighen up when you speed up the engine,?
it almost seems like the crankshaft has end play ,
see if you can pull the crank pulley forward or see if it move back and forth.
how old is the clutch ?
DOES IT GRIND GOING INTO GEAR ?
lets hear how you made out.
37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,,!!!!!!!!!!

supereal    -- 10-26-2010 @ 2:27 PM
  Bill: Idle speed, usually about 500-600 rpm, shouldn't be enough to cause the pressure plate fingers to move so far to reduce the pedal free play that much. I suspect something else is happening. If you lose all play by 2,000 rpm, at highway speed, it is likely there will be slippage, and a lost throwout bearing. An inch and a half with the engine off should be ample. The standard free play is 1.25 to 1.5 inches. That should be good up to 4,000 rpm. I'm assuming the car is your gorgeous Merc Sportsman, and all the parts were top grade. For some reason, it seems that there is too much play in the pressure plate, or the disk is incorrect, requiring too much action to move the plate. Linkage or release bearing may also be a factor. It is an unusual problem.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2072