Topic: Valve Clearance

carcrazy    -- 10-25-2010 @ 3:47 PM
  Hi, I am in the process of assembling my just rebuilt '37 Ford V-8 60 HP engine. Have assembled the valve train with all NOS parts except for original reconditioned non-adjustable tappets and camshaft. When all of the parts are assemble the valve clearances measure .030" or greater. What is the best way of getting to the proper clearances of .013"? Does anyone know of any valve caps available for the V8-60? Any help provided will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Stroker    -- 10-25-2010 @ 3:56 PM
  Given that you probably don't want to grind the valves or valve seats at this stage of the game, it would seem that your best solution would be a set of adjustable lifters. I believe (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken), full-size V8 adjustable lifters will fit the 60. It's always a good idea to use new lifters anyway, and it may be that when yours were "reconditioned" enough material was removed to create your clearance problems.

carcrazy    -- 10-26-2010 @ 9:36 AM
  Unfortunately the adjustable lifters for a regular Ford Flathead V-8 (221 to 255 cu. in. original displacement) won't fit the V8-60. There are adjustable lifters available for the V8-60 but they weigh 3 times more than the stock lifters and are quite expensive.

supereal    -- 10-26-2010 @ 9:55 AM
  That is a tough problem, as the valves (52-6505-A) and the lifters (52-6500-A) are unique to the 60hp engine, as are the guides. When we have an excess clearance on the full sized engines, we install new valve seats. It seems odd that there is so much clearance. The intakes should be .010 to .012, the exhausts .014 to .016. Either the stems were overground, or the tappets were, for some reason, altered. You can try Little Dearborn for parts 888/282-2066. We have had good luck finding 60 parts there. Until you know whether the valves or the lifters have been changed, it will be tough to know which to seek. Perhaps they can give you the exact length of both to help you sort it out.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-26-2010 @ 12:51 PM
  there is a outfit advertising in the V8 TIMES,that they have 60 hp adjustable lifters, they are H an H engine rebuilders.,
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,,

carcrazy    -- 10-27-2010 @ 7:12 AM
  What do you think of brazing metal onto the tip of the valve to add length to it as proposed by Richard Willim in his book on the V8-60. Do you think this method would work for an everyday driven street vehicle?

Stroker    -- 10-27-2010 @ 7:22 AM
  Since you will have to pull the valves to do this, why not simply regrind the valve faces to take off another .015, or find another set of stock lifters? Most brazing filler metals are pretty soft, and I would think that the material would be hammered thinner in time due to the valve action.

supereal    -- 10-27-2010 @ 8:44 AM
  The heat of brazing or welding would likely affect the temper of the valve stems. If the case hardening of the lifters was damaged, you could expect failure. As you say they were "reconditioned", I wonder what was done, anyway. If there is enough material on the valve head, regrinding the face would be preferable if you don't plan to replace the lifters.

FrankM-RG5    -- 11-01-2010 @ 9:32 PM
  I will start by saying I have no real experience here but it is obvious that the reconditioning of the cam and lifters has left a gap. I have heard of welding the stems to take up play. I would NOT suggest grinding the valves as this makes them thinner and more prone to heat. The seats can be ground to lower the valve. Any competent machine shop can do this for you. Good Luck!

supereal    -- 11-02-2010 @ 10:18 AM
  Whether you grind the valves or the seats depends on the amount of material available on either. At our shop, we replace all valve seats during a rebuild, as most have been ground a couple of times over the years, and most have incorrect angles. As a rule, we don't reuse valves, either. We install stainless straight stem valves and one piece guides. I don't know why anyone would grind either the cam or the lifters. This project is made more difficult because it is a 60HP engine with many unique parts.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2070