Topic: 37 steering box conversion

parrish    -- 10-25-2010 @ 8:51 AM
  I rebuilt and installed a 37 steering box on a 36 and it works fine except it has a small amount of tightness or grab right in the center of travel. Maybe remove a shim? Adjusting screw tweak? Or call it good?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-25-2010 @ 11:07 AM
  It sounds like the box is binding in the dead ahead position, I would back off the ajustment screw and see if it gets better, you should have little play in the dead ahead position, and the steering wheel should return what rounding a corner,and not be hard to turn,
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,!!!

ole_Bill    -- 10-25-2010 @ 12:29 PM
  Parrish - I'm considering the same conversion for my '36. What kind of problems did you run into during the process? Where did you find the steering box? Now that the work is complete, do you consider the improvement worth the time and money you put into it?

Henryat1140    -- 10-25-2010 @ 6:26 PM
  Parrish - A couple of questions for you:

Did you keep the 36 Steering arm? If not what did you use?

What modifications if any did you make to the light switch? Were you able to use the 36 switch assembly?

Thanks

Henry

parrish    -- 10-26-2010 @ 9:00 AM
  Thanks, I'll give the adjustment screw a try next time around. As to the questions: bought the box on the HAMB. Roller pin replacement shaft had to be welded (or could be rounded, I guess) to stay put. New bushing, bearings, cups. Shims were a goofy procedure. Used STP. Intend to keep the 36 column and arm, but body is off frame and I'm working on king pins, so I'll update this post with new issues as they find me...and they will!

parrish    -- 10-26-2010 @ 9:01 AM
  Oh yeah, bought adapter box from Drake.

parrish    -- 10-26-2010 @ 9:05 AM
  Henry...haven't dealt with light switch yet.

parrish    -- 10-26-2010 @ 9:06 AM
  Henry...haven't dealt with light switch yet.

flatheadfan    -- 10-26-2010 @ 9:48 AM
  Parrish-

Give this a try- center your steering wheel on the "high" spot. Remove the acorn nut and star washer from the top of the steering gear box and turn the screw under the nut to the right until it stops then turn to the left 1/8 of a turn. Replaced the star washer and nut and retry. If it still binds repeat the process and turn the screw another 1/8 turn to the left. It this doesn't solve the problem you will need to add some shims. I would start with 0.004" and go from there. From my experience, I have found that the total shim pack seldom exceeds 0.020" but others may have had different results. If you find yourself adding a lot of shims with no change you undoubtedly have some mechanical problems that will require a disassembly. Don't assume that everything will "self adjust" with time.

Hope this helps.

Tom

parrish    -- 10-27-2010 @ 9:54 AM
  Thanks, Tom. I will give it a shot the next go 'round. I recall Super saying that I would know more about that box than I would ever desire and he was right. Very quirky, but entertaining. I bought the gasket set from C&G and used ALL of the shims and did the star nut adjustment with the resulting small binding at the center travel. I then called it a day and lived to fight another day!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2066