Topic: ?checking a 6 volt bulb??

clock47    -- 10-22-2010 @ 1:55 PM
  Can anyone give me info on how to test the high beam indicator light on my 6 volt 47. I am thinking that you provide 6 volts (positive bat side??) to the connector end and ground (neg bat post) to the light housing?? This is the original light and bulb and I really don't want to have to buy a replacement. Thanks for any input

Stroker    -- 10-22-2010 @ 2:17 PM
  If you run a jumper from your negative battery terminal to the housing, you will melt the jumper!
Remember that you have a positive ground system. Run your jumper from the negative post to the
connector, and if you wish to provide a secondary ground, hook that jumper to the positive post.

Stroker    -- 10-22-2010 @ 2:43 PM
  I should probably add to my previous post that I assumed the lamp housing was still installed in the car. If you have it out of the car, it doesn't make any difference, as the lamp filament
doesn't care which way the current flows. Still, it is good to remember that we are dealing with positive ground systems, so the positive terminal is connected to the body/frame/engine block, and the negative terminal is wired to the harness that supplies the current path to the various components.

Old Henry    -- 10-22-2010 @ 5:22 PM
  You can also test the bulb alone or in the socket for continiity if you have an ohm meter. Connect meter to each end of the circuit that goes through the bulb (polarity doesn't matter) and see if you have continuity. (O ohms resistance means the bulb is good. Infinity resistence means the bulb is bad.)

Still Old Henry

clock47    -- 10-22-2010 @ 5:50 PM
  thanks for all the quick replys! tomorrow I will see what happens.

johnpoly    -- 10-23-2010 @ 4:23 PM
  To check a bulb I use my 6 volt battery charger.
Connect the positive clip to the bulb
housing and "touch" the negative clip to
the contact post at the end of the bulb.
Do this quickly since you do not want to
pump more amps into the bulb than it can tolerate.
A quick touch is all you need to see if the
bulb lights.

51f1    -- 10-24-2010 @ 4:49 AM
  You can't "pump more amps into the bulb than it can tolerate." Any electrical appliance will only "draw" as much current as required. You can put more voltage across a bulb or any other electrical appliance than required and burn it out. I would not use a battery charger to test anything as it may provide a higher voltage than required. Use a battery.

Richard

clock47    -- 10-24-2010 @ 6:55 AM
  using jumpers worked fine - bulb is good - and the neg pol issue is the same as for my Ford 8N tractor which I rebuilt years ago and it is always good to be careful when using any bat

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2049