Topic: Who sells the correct Ford 94 carb power valve?

31hotrod    -- 10-22-2010 @ 10:51 AM
  Who sells the correct Ford 94 carb power valve? I bought one from Napa that had a raised lip around the base of the threads (jpeg at bottom of page). It would not seal and did not work. I bought one from Mac's that appeared to be pretty much like the old one I took out of the carb. It seemed to work good, until I started chasing a head gasket leak and it backfired through the carb and blew out another power valve. Mac's website says its power valves are the correct ones. Since it worked, I have no reason to think that its not the correct one. Napa, on the other hand, I believe is not the correct one. What other companies have "the correct power valve"? Mine is a 7.5.

Thanks

This message was edited by 31hotrod on 10-22-10 @ 10:52 AM

supereal    -- 10-22-2010 @ 12:51 PM
  The power valve is a simple device composed of the body, a diaphragm, and a spring. When intake vacuum drops below a set level, the diaphragm allows the valve to open, providing additional fuel to compensate for the load. It is vital that the body of the valve be sealed against the carb body. There are two styles of gaskets: a round one, and another with a triangular shape. Either will work as long as the vacuum ports of the valve are open. If the valve is overtightened, the gasket will be deformed, breaking the seal. Many replacement valves have a rounded area where the gasket is contacted. This must be machined to allow full contact. We simply chuck them in a lathe and make a better seal surface. All replacement valves should be carefully inspected for this problem, and either be machined or returned to the vendor. Failing to do so will create an internal leakage in the carb, resulting in flooding and hard starting.

Stroker    -- 10-22-2010 @ 2:14 PM
  I see that Edelbrock now has a 94 rebuild kit listed. Since they are now manufacturing new 94's, it would seem that they wouldn't be installing improper power valves in new carbs.

JebNY    -- 10-22-2010 @ 5:50 PM
  I wonder if NAPA just gave you the wrong one. I bought one for my 50 F1 and it looked exactly like the one in the manual and has worked perfectly. Didn't look like yours. The one I took out looked like yours and the PO had got it from one of the national suppliers, it leaked at the gasket. NAPA's had a better gasket.

Jim...

1950 F1 Stake

42guy    -- 10-22-2010 @ 6:49 PM
  Call Ken's Carburetors. (203)375-9340

TomO    -- 10-23-2010 @ 9:09 AM
  Vintage Speed sells the correct valve,
http://www.vintagespeed.com/

Speedway used to have them in its kits, but the last kits I received, the valves were made someplace with very poor quality control. The size of the nut was neither inch or metric, so you have to use pliers to tighten them and the vacuum required to close the valve was not consistent 6.5 inches.

You should be using a power valve that closes between 5.5 and 6.5 inches of vacuum. A higher reading will give you a rich mixture.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2047