Topic: 1948 Ft Fender/Radiator Brace Rod?? Instal Help

BBoardman    -- 10-21-2010 @ 5:16 PM
  UPDATE
We have got the passenger side horn and rod bolted loosely through but on the drivers side we still have about a 3/4 gap between the fender brace and the rod end. I've been trying to use a 3" long bolt to cinch it up tight but it seems that the radiator is blocking the last bit. Could it be that not having the rod in before has pulled the sides of the radiator outward (the sides where the radiator bolts protrude to go through the radiator mounting frame?) Also the shop manual doesn't really cover this so is there a proccedure for this? It is almost like I need to pull out the grill, loosen up some of the fender bolts and then use a hydrulic jack and wood piece to push the top of the fender up and close the gap. Sounds drastic, but I'm at a loss.

Thanks
I'm working to get my car back on the road after about a 15 year lay off. ONE (of many) things I'm working on is new water pumps and I'm going to take out the radiator for a good tank cleaning. When I did the initial body and paint work back in the 1900's I think I forgot to reinstal a bracing rod for the front fenders in front of the radiator. Neither of my Ford shop manuals shows this part and it almost fits but is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch short of the distance between the current fenders and radiator supports. Could folks take a look at the attached pictures of the part and where I think it goes and shoot me a note or reply on line? Also if I have it in the correct location do folks use longer bolts to draw the fenders up tight?

This message was edited by BBoardman on 10-23-10 @ 2:51 PM

blarge    -- 10-21-2010 @ 5:33 PM
  The horns mount between the end of the brace and fender panel. The horn on each side will fill the gap you have now. Bill Large

BBoardman    -- 10-21-2010 @ 7:31 PM
  Thanks. I just looked at the horn brackets and it is obvious that they should go there -- a real daaaaaa moment -- how could I have missed this?

Thanks,
bb

BBoardman    -- 10-23-2010 @ 2:55 PM
  This is the second picture of the gap I have been talking about in the original posting. The bolt in the picture is just something I was using that is long enough to span the gap. In this photo the horn bracket is not in but there is still almost a 1 inch gap I'm trying to close.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2043