Topic: 41ford

4ford    -- 10-21-2010 @ 6:34 AM
  Hi I have a question to ask of you guys what do i have to do to change over from 6 volt to 12 volt? I have heard that realy the only thing that is to be done is changing out the generator and regulator.. what about the gauges. I know that all lights will be changed. do i get a converter from 12-6 volt for the gauges or will they work on 12volts.

thank you

TomO    -- 10-21-2010 @ 8:58 AM
  To use your current gauges with 12 Volts, you will have to get a voltage dropping device. You should also have your starter serviced and 12 volt field coils put in. The 12 volts going to a 6 volt starter will eventually destroy the ring gear.

Just for curiosity's sake, why do you want to change to 12 volts and add complexity to your car? Most of us enjoy driving our cars with the 6 volt system.

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-21-2010 @ 4:24 PM
  what kind of problems are you having,???????
12 volts will only add to the problems,and 12 volts will only mask the problems,like a slow turning starter, if it is,,, it needs to be rebuilt.and the cables need to be clean and tight and correct gauge wire.
not unless you have a very high compression engine.
been driving my 37 since 1979 on 6 volts and no need to switch over yet,
my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN

51f1    -- 10-21-2010 @ 5:12 PM
  If you want to add power consuming accessories such as air conditioning, switch to 12-volts. Otherwise, I agree with 37RAGTOPMAN. Fix the problems and keep the 6 volts. Six volts worked when the car was built, and it will work now. I have a '51 truck that has a 6-volt system. The engine turns over and starts within a second, even in cold weather, the headlights are bright and everything electrical works just as it was designed.

Make sure your battery cables are sized for 6-volts (2/0). Do not use replacement cable clamps. If the clamps have been replaced, replace the old cables with new, high quality battery cables of the proper size. Clean all of the connections in your wiring harness and clean all of the grounds. Make sure the battery, starter, generator and voltage regulator are up-to-snuff, and you should be good to go.

Richard

4ford    -- 10-21-2010 @ 7:08 PM
  thank you guys for your input!!! I just thought it would be better to run 12 volts. not any problems yet, still building the car so it can go either way... only one thing is the radio and cd player so i can play all the old music can i get somthing to convert 6--12volts for that?

thanks again all you guys

Mike

carguy    -- 10-21-2010 @ 8:45 PM
  There is an inverter available which will convert 6 volts positive ground to 12 volts negative ground. I have one I used on a '55 T-Bird - it's good for up to 30 watts. I'm guessing that most of the early v-8 dealers would sell this item.

TomO    -- 10-22-2010 @ 8:21 AM
  Google PGPI-HC and buy from the supplier with the lowest price. At $59 it is much less expensive than converting everything else.

It will operate most 12 volt CD players, FM radios and CB radios. I use one to power my CB. My radio is still 6 volts.

There are other more expensive converters on the market that will handle more current if you need power windows or door locks.

Tom

4ford    -- 10-24-2010 @ 1:25 PM
  thank you for all you sugestions

mike

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2040