Topic: Newbie on the forum

wrosenkrans    -- 10-20-2010 @ 9:15 PM
  Hello to all from a newbie in the V8's. My wife and I have had Model T and Model A Fords for some time, but have just taken the plunge and bought a very nice and very original 1942 Super De Luxe Tudor.

I'm sure I'll have many questions as time goes on, but to start what books would you recommend for proper care and feeding of a 42 Ford? Where could I get an owners manual? I'm very familiar with Snyder's, Bratton's etc for the T's and A's, but what are the good parts houses for the EFV-8's?

Lastly, what constituted the correct toolkit for a 42 Ford?

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

42wagon    -- 10-21-2010 @ 3:34 AM
  Wayne
Welcome aboard. I have a 42 wagon also a 31 Model A Roadster.
If you are not already a member I encourage you to join the Early Ford V8 club and if there is a local chapter that as well.
There are a number of good V8 parts sellers which you can find by going to Google on your computer. Dennis Carpenter, Bob Drake, Macs Auto Parts, LaBaron Bonney, and Vintage Ford Parts come to mind but I'm sure there are others.

You can get a reprint of the glove box owners manual from any of the vendors. Very similar to the one that came with your Model A. By all means get a copy of the 41-48 Ford Book, available direct from the EFV8 club as well as the vendors. It has a wealth of knowledge about what are the correct details for your car.

As for the tool kit, this is explained in detail in the Ford book. The complete kit consisted of: 2 small open end wrenches, a combination headnut and sparkplug wrench, a screwdriver, an adjustable wrench, a pair of pliers, a bumper jack with handle, and a lugnut wrench. Also there is a leatherette tool pouch and a burlap bag. Many of these tools are similar to your Model A tools. However there are subtle differences from the Model A era and even between V8 era tools.

Anyway again welcome
Ted

wrosenkrans    -- 10-21-2010 @ 5:41 AM
  Thanks for the kind welcome Ted. I joined the national club last night, but unfortunately the closest local one is on the other side of the state in Pittsburg.

I did some Google trolling last night and ordered a couple books from Macs to get me started.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

40guy    -- 10-21-2010 @ 6:40 AM
  Welcome to the Early Ford V-8 Club and forum. The bi-monthly publication that this club puts out is second to none and in my opinion alone is worth the cost of membership. It it filled with great Early Ford info, history, tech. tips, etc. As an added bonus, this forum gives you many Flathead brains to pick. I have never found this forum to be hostile; only helpful. Welcome aboard!

TomO    -- 10-21-2010 @ 8:51 AM
  There are RG in Bensalem, near Philadelphia, Sarver, near Pittsburgh, in Reading and in State College, PA. Check out the one that is closest to you and see if they have any members that live close to you.

Tom

wrosenkrans    -- 10-22-2010 @ 3:57 PM
  Bensalem and Reading are both within range (I just found the part of the website with those listings). I'll be contacting the person listed.

Our 42 Tudor will be joining our 17 T Speedster, 26 T Touring, 29 A Roadster, 30 AA Staketruck, 30 A Pickup, 30 A Town Sedan, and 31 A Station Wagon.

Thanks all for the welcoming comments.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2036