Topic: Help: Rest 37 Ford 5W Coupe, Rubbers!

fordson    -- 10-20-2010 @ 12:38 PM
  Hello, i have bought a 1937 Ford in South Africa that needs restauration. Unfortunately i have to replace most of the rubbers (Bonnet/Doors/Windows/Body and Engine to chassis etc.) and will have to import them from the USA. I have found numerous companys that offer these such as GEARHEAD, DENNIS CARPENTER and BOB DRAKE. There seems to be a difference in price, quality and fit. I want to do a propper job and would like to know what Company to buy from. Does anybody have experience with the rubber pads, linings and seals offered?? Should one use self sticking or glue on Rubbers? Is it better to buy sealed /joined rubbers or off a role/self cut?
thank you very much for your help in advance, many regards
Randolf

37 Coupe    -- 10-20-2010 @ 2:32 PM
  It would be best to buy the moulded rubber for a particular model and year from Bob Drake. Years ago when I did a 53 F-100 I used Dennis Carpenter rubber for back glass windshield etc and it was high quality and a very good fit. When doing my 37 coupe now going on 4-5 years ago I figured Carpenter was the way to go but at least not for a 1937,the back glass and quarter glass mouldings were too big for glass and to big for body opening. I also did not like the quality of the windshield rubber and sent everything back for refund. Bought all pieces from Drake and was well pleased with fit and quality. This was the situation at least in the 1937 Ford coupe year.

supereal    -- 10-21-2010 @ 9:39 AM
  I most cases, quality rubber parts are made by Carpenter. If you buy from Drake, they usually come in a Carpenter bag.

fordson    -- 10-30-2010 @ 3:18 AM
  Thanx a lot, i suppose i will buy from Drake to be on the safe side. I will report to the forum about Packing and Quality.
Regards Randolf

trjford8    -- 10-31-2010 @ 9:19 AM
  I have purchased all the rubber for my 37 coupe from Drake. The fit an quality was excellent. I used all his window and door rubbers. I had some of the rear window rubber from Carpenter and compared them to Drake's and there is a difference. The Carpenter rubber is harder and more difficult to install. On the other hand Carpenter makes some items that are better than Drake's. Both have contributed a lot to this hobby, but there are differences in some of their products.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2032