Topic: Leaking carb

47Jack    -- 10-20-2010 @ 6:15 AM
  Through everyone's help I'm systematically getting my truck to be more dependable. I'm presently running a Chandler Grove 91-99 carburator. I recently went through it with a rebuild kit and used everything provided in the kit except for the ball under the accelerator pump.

The problem I have is immediately after shutting down the engine the carb leaks gas through what appears to be the throttle plate axle and until the gas drys restarting is like it's flooded. I've set the float and believe the 1 and 5/16ths is correct.

There is also a governor on this but when I was having running problems I removed the throttle plates to eliminate the governor as a source.

Do you guys think it's as simple as resetting the float? Thanks in advance,

Jack

TomO    -- 10-20-2010 @ 7:34 AM
  Your gas is probably leaking past the power or economizer valve. Check to see that the seat for the valve is smooth and flat, that your power valve will seat without a gasket and then use the round gasket that just covers the seat.

If the power valve has a radius at the seat area, a nylon oil pan drain plug gasket might seal it. Tighten the power valve to 15ft lbs and then put enough gas in the bowl to cover the power valve. Let the carburetor sit over night to ensure that the gas is not leaking out.

Tom

47Jack    -- 10-20-2010 @ 8:41 AM
  Thanks for the reply Tom. I will check it out and report back.

Jack

TomO    -- 10-20-2010 @ 4:55 PM
  I reviewed your post and see that I missed seeing the float level question. The float should be set between 1.353 and 1.322 from the underside of the bowl top cover when the cover is inverted. Those measurements translate to about 1 23/64 (1.359). I usually set the float level a little lower (further away from the top cover) to allow for wear in the needle valve and seat.

I made a go-no go gauge out of wood to set the float.

Tom

Old Henry    -- 10-21-2010 @ 9:38 PM
  Here's an illustration of what TomO was describing.
I just cut a guage out of a piece of cardstock but I cut mine in an inverted U shape so as to have two legs straddling the float to touch both sides of the bowl to get an accurate measurement.

I had your same problem of gas leaking out of the carb after shut off and it was the bowl not set right. I set the bowl as described and the gas quit leaking.

Good luck.

Still Old Henry

This message was edited by Old Henry on 10-21-10 @ 9:42 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2031