Topic: Bendex

jamesbsmith    -- 10-18-2010 @ 12:25 PM
  I just reinstalled the starter after repairing a broken connection inside it and now the bendex seems to make a "winding down" noise as it disengages.
Is it not adjusted correctly, can it be adjusted at all or is it installed incorrectly?
thanks
Jim

40guy    -- 10-18-2010 @ 1:16 PM
  If the starter is turning the engine over, it's installed correctly. If it's not, then something is awray. The winding down as you call it, just sounds like a typical Flathead to me. Also ,I am not aware of any adjustments. A starter is pretty straight forward. It's either turning the engine over or it's not.

40 Coupe    -- 10-19-2010 @ 5:48 AM
  see superreals posting regarding the 46 clutch for more starter info

Old Henry    -- 10-19-2010 @ 7:25 AM
  I just installed a brand new starter with a Bendix drive and it does "coast" a bit after disingaging before the motor stops. I think it's because the Bendix drive has a shorter gear than the stock drive that disengages earlier while the motor is still spinning. I don't think it's a problem but does sound quite different from my original stock starter that I just took out. Just have to get used to it.

Still Old Henry

supereal    -- 10-19-2010 @ 10:08 AM
  Be sure the spiral on the shaft of the starter is clean and dry, and that the special shoulder bolts and locks on the spring are tight and in place, and the face of the starter is flat against the mount. There should be a small steel angle brace between one of the starter mounting bolts and an oil pan bolt. This supports the starter and prevents it from twisting when activated. These braces are available as part number 51A-11150 from places such as C&G for about 5 bucks. If the starter is late in releasing when the engine starts. check the run out of the shaft. Finding them slightly bent isn't unusual. Also be sure that the solenoid and the starter button are not sticking.

jamesbsmith    -- 10-19-2010 @ 5:34 PM
  I removed the starter and inspected it.
Everything seemed fine; shaft is straight, bearings free, and the bendix clean and smooth with no visable wear.
Thought maybe the motor free wheels longer due to lubrication when it was apart the first time - so I reinstalled it.
The running-on winding noise is no longer there!?
I don't understand what changed unless it was not mounted correctly and was binding or something.
Anyway it's all better and Dad is happy to take the '46 F100 out and about.
Thanks for all the ideas everyone - really appreciate it! Nice site.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2026