Topic: U joints

47Jack    -- 10-18-2010 @ 6:15 AM
  I've learned so much from this forum and appreciate everyone's help. I finally got my 47 1 and 1/2 ton road worthy. Took a hundred mile round trip to camp to pick up firewood the other day. I believe I have a bad U joint and I'm about to go out and remove the drive shafts and see which one it is. This vehicle sat for fifteen years and although I greased everything it was probably bad to begin with. My question is are the U joint replacements difficult to find?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

oldford2    -- 10-18-2010 @ 6:46 AM
  Jack,

Now that is a good looking truck. Should be fun and sounds like it will earn it's keep. Just don't park it so close to a C#*%Y. May catch a bug. Mac's catalog shows truck universals and also repair kits. Plus, check NAPA first

51f1    -- 10-18-2010 @ 6:50 AM
  The same repair kit was used for years. You can pick one up at a local parts supplier. If you need the entire joint, you may have to go to Carpenter or some other early Ford parts supplier.

Richard

supereal    -- 10-18-2010 @ 7:14 AM
  You should be able to find them at a NAPA or other main line store. If not, look at any shop that does truck repair. Before you take the driveshaft apart, be sure to mark it in relation to the parts, particularly if it is a two piece shaft with a center bearing so it stays in phase. If you do have a center bearing, I'd replace it at the same time.

47Jack    -- 10-19-2010 @ 11:11 AM
  Well guys, I checked all of my u joints by removing both shafts and found them to be in good shape. In the process I found some play in the center shaft bearing and inspecting further I found rust colored grease.

This ended up being a Federal #207 bearing which I learned is quite common and in use today. A trip to Fleet Pride and I was on my way. I just finished a test ride and the vibration is gone.

Thanks for your help.

Jack

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2023