Topic: 36 Ford Tail Light/Turn Signal Bulbs

36fordor    -- 10-17-2010 @ 8:26 AM
  What bulbs should work as both tail light & turn signal bulbs. I've had good working lights & turn signals but something's gone wrong somewhere, maybe in replacement of Everlasting switch or of bulbs.

When both my rear turnsignals work, both tail lights do not work. If I turn right bulb around, right tail light works but right turn signal does not work. Left tail light will not work regardless of bulb position.

Can anyone help me sort this out possibly? Can't understand having 6 volts back to tail lights but no tail lights when signals are working. Thanks.

40 Coupe    -- 10-17-2010 @ 8:40 AM
  either the 1154 or the 1158 should work. The 1158 is the original style bulb, it has two even tangs on the side of the base and the 1154 has offset tangs. You have to look at your bulb socket to determin which bulb you need. Look at the slots for the tangs to see if one is longer than the other or are they of equal length.

supereal    -- 10-18-2010 @ 7:20 AM
  Be sure your taillight sockets are well grounded. If not, the filaments will have to provide the ground, and when one is turned on, the other won't work as it is providing ground for the first one.

TomO    -- 10-18-2010 @ 9:06 AM
  The 1158 bulb should have "top" stenciled on it. Your turn signals should be wired into the stop light circuit, not the tail light circuit.

New 1158 bulbs should be available at your auto parts store. It is a dual filament bulb.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 10-20-2010 @ 1:27 AM

36 Fordor-

I admit this doesn't apply directly to your initial question but I have a suggestion. Tail light turn signals seem to be a "natural" but their usefulness depends how observant other drivers are (I think we know the answer to that). After a several close calls I resorted to a couple of large signals attached to my bumper arm bolts. I admit they do look "dumb" but so is someone running into you as you attempt to make a left-hand turn. I have them attached with rapid disconnects so if I opt for a show they can be removed and reinstalled in seconds. As for the wiring, it was simple. I just tapped into the existing turn signal wiring.

Tom

supereal    -- 10-20-2010 @ 10:07 AM
  Original stoplights on old cars are often worse than none. In daylight, they virtually disappear as other drivers have become accustomed to giant, bright lights, particularly the "third" stop lights. Most us us have heard the squeal of tires as the car behind us suddenly realized we were stopping or turning. Several years ago, a friend sent me info on a six volt LED light bar that really makes our cars safer. You can use it as one bright stop light, or divide it so it is a turn signal. You can find out more at www.brakeflasher.com I have attached a pic of the bar mounted on my convertible. It is set up so it can be unplugged and removed if desired for shows, etc.

CharlieStephens    -- 10-20-2010 @ 10:21 AM
  I think you need to start over. You should be using your brake lights for the turn signals. You need to overide the brake light switch and flash the brake light. If you use your tail light for the turn signal it will not be visible when you apply the brakes.

Charlie Stephens

lightflyer1    -- 01-10-2011 @ 8:14 AM
  I ordered one of these before Thanksgiving and still haven't received it. Be wary as he told me it would ship by the end of the week on 12/1/2010. No phone to contact and talk to the company either, just email and PayPal won't stand behind it either. Try one of the other providers out there instead.

This is in reference to : www.brakeflasher.com

This message was edited by lightflyer1 on 1-10-11 @ 8:16 AM

supereal    -- 01-10-2011 @ 8:45 AM
  We haven't had any problems with them. The mail address is Top Serve, 1730 Summit St., Holland MI 49423. It is a small outfit, and it is likely that they have been swamped trying to get orders made and shipped since high interest has been generated. Lots of orders of all kinds have been delayed as buying so much for Christmas on line has increased. Items that usually shipped in the usual 5-6 days have taken a couple of weeks, in some cases. If you are PayPal protected, I'd give them some slack.

lightflyer1    -- 01-10-2011 @ 12:06 PM
  Not PayPal protected though. I did give them some slack and was promised they would ship a month ago. They were ordered a month before that. 2 months since ordering, paying. I can understand being behind but not communicating delays with paid customers is just wrong. I am glad you didn't have any problems, but there are now. I have no choice but to wait to see if I lose my money. Too bad since it seems to be a real nice product and from an individual guy rather than a giant company.

This message was edited by lightflyer1 on 1-10-11 @ 12:14 PM

flatheadfan    -- 01-10-2011 @ 4:33 PM
  If you are attempting to call Top Serve, their phone number is 616-335-5045. The guy's name is Emil Urrel. As I understand it, he works out of his basement.

Tom

lightflyer1    -- 01-11-2011 @ 11:04 AM
  He replied that he had shipped it already. I am now awaiting his answer as to whether he can ship me another. He has record of shipping but I have nothing. Wife says she didn't get it. Easier to just buy another I guess. Who knows what happened in the middle.

Model B    -- 01-14-2011 @ 8:58 AM
  I am using a 6-volt positive ground LED 3rd brake light/turn signal kit that is available from Mac's in N.Y. for around $60. Four-wire install. Has the suction cup mount or something more permanent if you choose. Works great! Part #SR13401LED6 Phone: 800-777-0948. Good luck, Pat

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2020