Topic: 1940 Ford Convertible

Double D    -- 10-27-2009 @ 4:13 AM
  I have a 1940 Ford Conv and am trying to find information about installing the top. I have a new top that I bought from MAC'S but their instructions are not good. Any information or direction would help.

alanwoodieman    -- 10-27-2009 @ 6:00 AM
  Do you really want to drive yourself nuts--just kidding-- installing a convertible top is hard work, very dificult to make it come out looking good with no sags or wrinkles. I would try to find a local auto uph. to try to install the top, but if you really want to try, I beleive I still have an old instruction manual that I will faxmail a copy to you. alan@crossroadspaper.com

trjford8    -- 10-27-2009 @ 8:47 PM
  I agree with Alan, if you have not done this before it is a BIG JOB. Either take it to a shop so they can install it or find someone who has done this before to guide you through the process. Patience and thinking about the next move are the secret to getting the job done. Not sure what you paid for the top, but if you ruin it trying to do a self install you can toss that money out the window.

supereal    -- 10-29-2009 @ 10:07 AM
  I agree with the others. A new top must be cut to fit in some places, even when it is made for a particular car, and a wrong move can turn the top into scrap. Getting the correct amount of tension is critical, or you will not be able to get the top latched to the header, or if too loose, the top will sag between the bows. You can prepare the car for the top by being sure the top mechanism works freely, the header, in particular is sound (many are rotted), and the bows that require covering can have the cloth applied. Convertible tops require the accurate placing of the pads, the trim strips, and the snaps. An experienced trim shop is worth every penny for a good job, as there are no "do-overs" if you screw it up.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=202