Topic: vacuum line fouled with gas

parrish    -- 10-16-2010 @ 7:38 PM
  I'm running a chandler groves on a 39 and the vacuum line at the intake manifold is getting fouled with gasoline. I have the carb off and will take it apart, but it seems like such an odd problem? I attached a dummy line to the vacuum fitting and exhaled some air through and saw some gas bubbles at the small hole in the intake manifold, but can't figure why gas would be drawn in? Maybe an ill fitting power valve? Any suggestions?
Thanks!

40 Coupe    -- 10-17-2010 @ 7:53 AM
  there are two vacuum lines on the intake manifold, one for the vacuum to the distributor and the second for vacuum to the wiper motor. any gas in either vacuum line would be drawn into the intake manifold while running. if gas is gathering in the vacuum line while the car is stopped look for a leaking power valve or PV gasket during rebuild. The PV supplied in the kits usually have a rounded corner between the threaded portion and the seat, which prevents the PV from seating properly. screw the PV in by hand without a gasket and make sure the seat on the PV bottoms out so that when the gasket is installed it can do it's job.

parrish    -- 10-19-2010 @ 9:06 AM
  I left the carb on the stand overnight and saw no gas leakage. Then checked the bowl and it had good gas level and the float seems ok. Carb still loads vacuum line with fuel...any ideas on what next to check?

supereal    -- 10-19-2010 @ 10:00 AM
  Are both the vacuum line to the distributor and the wipers "fouling" with gas? The lines to the intake manifold will be cleared when either is opened to the atmosphere. Neither the wipers or the distributor can provide gas. If you had a carb leak bad enough to fill the intake manifold, certainly the car wouldn't run. I've see the lines become clogged with oil sucked from the distributor and/or the wiper motor, and occasionally from a dual action (vacuum side) fuel pump with a broken diaphragm, but unless it interferes with the advance or wiper, it isn't important, anyway. Be sure that both the vacuum advance chamber on the distributor and the wiper motor hose are in place and well sealed.

parrish    -- 10-19-2010 @ 7:45 PM
  I blocked (rubber hose stub and screw) the line to the wiper motor when painting the car, but the distributor line (copper) was funcional. Recently, I switched to a 42 distributor and was having issues with what I thought was distributor timing as the engine was not running properly. When I pulled the rubber hose stub off, a fair amount of gas streamed out and when I removed the distriutor, it showed evidence of gas infiltration from the vacuum line. Today, I took the carb apart, used an old rebuild kit, checked the PV again and thorougly cleaned everything. Now the engine is much improved with no gas in the vacuum line. I'd like to know what fixed what, but I'll take it as is...thanks for the help, everyone.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2017