Topic: 1947 Ford Radio Problem

FRITZ47    -- 10-16-2010 @ 2:39 PM
  I have recently purchased a 1947 Ford Convertible and the radio was working great with stations adjusted manually. A large "M" displayed in the center of the radio while radio was working. I later pushed the clear plastic horizontal bar and the "M" changed to a "2" and radio quit working. I cannot figure out how to get it back to the "M" (Manual) setting. No matter what I do, the "2" stays in place and I cannot get a sound out of the radio. Any ideas?

Thanks, Fred

This message was edited by FRITZ47 on 10-16-10 @ 5:53 PM

FRITZ47    -- 10-16-2010 @ 6:09 PM
  Here is a picture of the radio, showing the center section as set to "2". When it was set to "M" (I assume this means manual), the radio played perfectly - very strong. Once I pushed the horizontal clear plastic bar below the dial it changed to "1" and then to "2" but never back to "M" or even back to "1". In other words, "I fixed it" so it would no longer work.

Fred

4dFordSC    -- 10-16-2010 @ 7:10 PM
  Hopefully, someone will be able to answer your question, but if not you can obtain a reprint of the operating manual from these folks: http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1947-1948-Ford-Radio-Installation-and-Owner-Operating-Manual-Reprint-P9688.aspx
Probably a good thing to have in any case.

FRITZ47    -- 10-16-2010 @ 7:52 PM
  Thank you very much. I just ordered the radio manual and also joined the Early Ford V8 Club this evening. Here is a picture of the '47 Ford, which I purchased at the Glenmoor Auction in Canton, Ohio a few weeks ago. Thee car runs perfectly and rides great - now if I can only get the radio working again!

Fred

Old Henry    -- 10-16-2010 @ 10:47 PM
  The "wonder bar" on the radio rotates the radio through the 5 preset channels that you have set.
The electromagnet that does that requires full electrical power. It will likely only work if the car is running and the generator is charging. Then, it should rotate through the 5 pre-sets then back to manual. Each of the numbered channels can be set to a station by pulling the tuning knob out while turning it. It moves the tuner very slowly so you have to be very patient but eventually you'll get to a station that you like and can always return to that by mashing the "wonder bar" until you get to that channel. When the radio shows "M" that is for manual tuning. The tuning on "M" setting is done the same way by pulling on the tuning knob while turning it but the tuner moves much faster.

On my radio I added the foot switch to change the channel and it works better than the "wonder bar."

No need to wait for the manual. Here it is.

Still Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 10-16-2010 @ 10:49 PM
  Here's the second page of the radio manual.

Still Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 10-16-2010 @ 10:54 PM
  Here's a little bonus image I thought you might enjoy. It's the tag that's hanging from the radio knob when you buy the car brand new.

Still Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 10-16-2010 @ 10:56 PM
  Gorgeous car, by the way.

Here's mine.

Still Old Henry

FRITZ47    -- 10-17-2010 @ 3:05 PM
  Thanks Old Henry! You fixed it - I followed your advice and the advice shown on the instructions and the red radio hang tag. Once I got the radio warmed up with car running, I pushed the clear bar below the dial and gradually worked it back to "M". Since it is working so nicely, I will leave it alone for now.

Thanks again.

P.S. However just a little later, had another problem, which I will explain in a new post shortly.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2016