Topic: dash knobs

4ford    -- 10-12-2010 @ 6:36 PM
  h*llo new to this and the club. I have a 1941 ford coupe sedan and would like to ask some questions about the car, the dash knobs how is the best way to remove and install new ones... lots more to come but thats all for now.

supereal    -- 10-13-2010 @ 10:39 AM
  Welcome aboard. Which knobs are you referring to? Some can be done, others, such as the choke and throttle, provide problems, and it is often better to replace the entire knob and rod or cable assembly when the knobs are molded to the piece. It always helps to be as specific as you can when posing a question. We look forward to helping when and where we can.

Old Henry    -- 10-13-2010 @ 11:21 AM
  I just replaced my headlight switch knob, throttle, choke and cigar lighter knobs.

I agree that there really isn't a good way to replace the throttle and choke knobs without replacing the entire cables with them. The cigar lighter knob, of course, is replaced with the lighter element.

Here is my own answer to your question about the headlight switch knob that I posted August 8th:

I found the answer to my question in an old repair manual. Here is the answer for anyone else that might be interested in how to replace the headlight switch knob: With the knob pushed all the way in, feel the top of the switch for a hole in which to insert a small thin screwdriver and twist it to compress the spring. Then, while depressing the spring, turn the knob and its shaft 1/4 turn to the left and pull the knob and shaft out. Replacement is simply pushing the knob and shaft into the switch while turned 1/4 turn to the left, then, while pushing it in to its limit, turning it 1/4 turn to the right to secure the shaft in the switch.

With the knob and shaft off, the switch is easily removed by unscr*w*ng the bezel that holds it in place and removing it. I've attached the diagram of the switch.

Still Old Henry

P.S. I actually couldn't get my old knob off that easy. I had to destroy it so that I could unscrew the bezel, remove the switch, then do what is described to get the old knob off.

Still Old Henry

4ford    -- 10-13-2010 @ 6:56 PM
  thank you for your help I wanted to replace all the knobs maybe i will leave some of them on and change only the easy ones and the shift knob on the column. thanks again

Old Henry    -- 10-13-2010 @ 8:01 PM
  The windshield wiper knob and the ash tray knobs are also pretty easy.

Still Old Henry

supereal    -- 10-14-2010 @ 6:58 AM
  Getting the old knobs off usually requires destroying them. The replacements then must be anchored to the shaft. It is tricky, because many adhesives will not bond to plastic. We have used a couple of kinds of epoxy resin, and even "Gorilla Glue" with mixed results. Beware that many replacement knobs are not a close match to the originals, or the dash plastic, etc. Most of the better replacements are made by Dennis Carpenter. Age and exposure usually results in fading or other changes, so compare before you remove the originals.

proxie35    -- 10-14-2010 @ 8:38 AM
  I've Had ever good luck replacing knobs that are on
a shaft. After removing the old knob & cleaning the
shaft. I just heat the shaft & slide on the new knob. The inside of the knob will melt enough to bond to the
shaft. I have done this many times, with no problem. The new knobs have been on my 50 coupe for 12 year & are good as the day I installed. Hope this helps

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1992