Topic: '34 Condenser ?

Savvy    -- 10-26-2009 @ 5:59 PM
  I'm stumped.

The wiring harness for that area has one yellow wire which attaches to the cut out relay and a red wire, which I think connects to the vertical mounting post on the left side of the coil.

The condenser that inserts in the coil has two connector points.
The large circle connector attaches to a distributor mounting bolt (ground). what does the other end (female thread) connect to?
Am I missing a wire?

Thanks

This message was edited by Savvy on 10-26-09 @ 6:07 PM

Bill4d1merc    -- 10-26-2009 @ 6:32 PM
  Their should be a tab sticking out the side of the coil that it gets attached to, if it is similar to the one in my 41 Mercury.
Bill

Savvy    -- 10-26-2009 @ 7:38 PM
  The circle connector on the left goes to a distributor mounting bolt.
Where/what connects to the brass/copper side on the right?

This message was edited by Savvy on 10-26-09 @ 7:39 PM

194dee1    -- 10-27-2009 @ 7:45 AM
  The other side of the condencer should go from one side of the points to ground. The diagram I have for the wiring for my 41 shows the common end of the coil going to the battery voltage and the primary coil winding going to the points. The condenser is connected across the points to ground.

Bill4d1merc    -- 10-27-2009 @ 7:56 PM
  Is the coil attached to the distributor with 3 screws?
If so when you install the condenser to the mounting bolt for the distributor and have it laying horizontal it should line up with a small tang that the brass/copper end would get bolted to. if there isn't a tang there maybe it was broken off when removing the old condenser.
If you have a coil that is mounted with 2 screws then you have the wrong condenser. I am going by the picture that you posted.
Hope this helps, Bill

This message was edited by Bill4d1merc on 10-27-09 @ 7:57 PM

Savvy    -- 10-27-2009 @ 10:47 PM
  Just what might a "tang" be?

supereal    -- 10-28-2009 @ 9:58 AM
  It is either a contact tab with a screw hole in it, or something astronauts drink. Seriously, as long as the body of the condenser is well grounded, and the terminal of the thing is attached to the input terminal of the distributor, it will be OK. That is why, on later models, the condenser was mounted on or near the coil when it was moved to the top of the engine to be easier to check and/or replace.

Bill4d1merc    -- 10-28-2009 @ 3:21 PM
  Tang is a Chinese dynasty..
Sorry about that it should be tab.
Bill

Savvy    -- 10-28-2009 @ 5:08 PM
  Got it!
The screw was found and the condenser has been attached properly.

Thanks all.

Cheers!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=199