Topic: tube shock ride length

parrish    -- 10-11-2010 @ 2:32 PM
  I just installed the rear lower tube shock mounts (similar to 47 or 48) on my 39 and want to place the upper shock stud at the right location. The Monroe gas charged shocks (from C&G) have a compressed length of 12 inches and an extended length of 19 1/2. So with a difference of 7 1/2 inches, would I place the upper shock mount about 15 3/4 inches from the bottom eyelet? In other words, splitting the 7 1/2 inches in half...3 3/4 inches...for both up and down shock travel? I had planned to tilt the shock about 20 degrees to help with sway. Does this sound good?

Thanks, everybody!

trjford8    -- 10-11-2010 @ 7:12 PM
  Generally shocks are set at a 30 degree angle or less. I would set the upper mount at 16 1/2 inches to compensate for any extra weight in the car(luggage,etc.)that you may have at various times.

ole_Bill    -- 10-12-2010 @ 7:23 AM
  I plan to get around to a tube shock conversion for my '36 Tudor sometime in the future. Did you make the mounts yourself or buy a kit from a vendor? How did you select the shocks? I have been told the newer gas filled shocks are too stiff for a comfortable ride in an older, lighter car. I'd like to build on your experience.

This message was edited by ole_Bill on 10-12-10 @ 7:24 AM

parrish    -- 10-12-2010 @ 8:34 AM
  I bought them from Pure Hot Rods. They had them cast and machined, but unfortunately no longer produce them. You might give them a call to see if they have any leads. C&G recommended the Monroes. The mounts fit on my 39 with no alterations, but I had to use a spacer and flip them around on my 36 due to the radius arm location welded on the axle.

supereal    -- 10-12-2010 @ 10:11 AM
  C&G sells them to be correct for stock tube shock mounts. If you are using non stock mounts, be careful about selecting the length so they have sufficient travel in both directions. Almost all tube shocks on the general market today are gas filled. This is to suppress bubbles in the fluid when the shocks are flexed on bumpy pavement. Again, they must be carefully matched to the application to provide the correct ride. Old cars tend to be considerably lighter than modern vehicles, and shock action is critical to control. Most franchised shops have no clue as to what you need.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1989