Topic: Interior kits

jimmyt43    -- 10-10-2010 @ 1:16 PM
  So I am ready to tackle my interior and would like some input on vendors to purchase a interior upholstery kit. I know about Mac's and Lebaron, are there any others?

kubes40    -- 10-10-2010 @ 1:32 PM
  Wow! This subject has been tossed around time and again. You may want to search the FordBarn archives for a bunch of thoughtful opinions. The seemingly overwhelming 'votes' are in favor of Lebaron-Bonney. Count me in on that.
Their kits cost a bit more but actually fit. If you have a question, their service is incredible.

jimmyt43    -- 10-10-2010 @ 2:32 PM
  Wow! I guess I ask a stupid question! Sorry for trying to obtain some up to date info. I thought this was a forum for discussion. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I guess I will find a friendlier forum to find my info.

thank
the new guy

shogun1940    -- 10-10-2010 @ 3:30 PM
  hey Jimmyt calm down this is a great bunch of ford owners. I live in Mass. and have been up tp L.&B. to see there setup. Nice display room and very helpful, knowledgeable people. Goodluck shopping

kubes40    -- 10-10-2010 @ 3:42 PM
  Jim, You certainly didn't ask a stupid question nor did you ruffle my feathers. I was simply trying to steer you to a place where you could in an instant get a lot of replies about the very subject you were asking about.
Sensitive little fella huh? Calm down my friend... breath in, breath out, repeat...

Old Henry    -- 10-10-2010 @ 8:01 PM
  jimmyt43, I just searched the posts for the last year and there was nothing in any that recently about upholstery so your question is a very ligitimate one.

I got my upholstery kit at Mac's (Cartouch) and won a huge trophy for second place for all upholstery in a recent car show. It cost about half of what Labaron-Bonney was and I think it was just as good. I've included some pictures. These were taken at the first car show after installing. We hadn't installed the buttons on the rear seat back yet.

Still Old Henry

Addendum: For some reason the other picture didn't post. I'll try it again with a new post.

This message was edited by Old Henry on 10-10-10 @ 8:04 PM

Old Henry    -- 10-10-2010 @ 8:05 PM
  Here's the other picture. They are of the back seat of my 1947 Ford Super Deluxe Fordor.

Still Old Henry

Old Henry    -- 10-11-2010 @ 8:24 AM
  Here is the link to the FordBarn discussion about it: http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12214&highlight=upholstery

Still Old Henry

trjford8    -- 10-11-2010 @ 7:06 PM
  There's been several discussions on various websites regarding upholstery and the quality of each supplier. There's been a couple of discussions of this subject on this site in the past. What we have to remember is new people to the hobby may not have seen these previous discussions or visited other websites.
Our written words on this site are the first impression that the "newbie" receives of those of us on this site. If they get a negative impression they will not return and will definitely tell others. What we say here reflects on the V-8 Club positively or negatively. "Newbies" stand out when they come to this site and we should try answer the question as if it is the first time we have heard it. All of us have answered the questions about ID/VIN numbers numerous times, but we continue to answer the same question. All of us were "newbies" at one time and I appreciated all the old V-8ers that answered my questions.
The written word can be misinterpreted very easily, so it behoves us to think about our answer before we put it down in writing. I don't think Kube meant anything negative, but I did see where the new guy may have misinterpreted his response.

jimmyt43    -- 10-11-2010 @ 7:50 PM
  thanks for the input, photos and the link to the fordbarn because i had no idea what that was, so thanks Old Henry for that.

Old Henry    -- 10-12-2010 @ 1:48 PM
  I didn't know what the "FordBarn" was either. I just put those words into Google search and up it popped.

It looks like, in retrospect, that we never did answer your original question: "Who is there besides LB and Mac's?" We dumped on you all about those two that you said you already knew about. Looks like there is no one else that builds the "install-it-yourself" kits like they do. That leaves us with one of those two or the local upholstery shop, which, as I priced around, was way more than even LB to build and install from scratch.

Still Old Henry

supereal    -- 10-12-2010 @ 2:29 PM
  The reason so many of us recommend L-B is that if you get into a problem, they can steer you out of it from experience. We have done several of their kits, and each one required at least one contact with L-B. In every case, they knew the answer, and remade the part that we needed at no further charge. That is particularly valuable for those who are tackling the installation of an interior for the first time. Other suppliers may also do that, but we were so pleased with L-B, we didn't shop around. The parts of the kits are made there, and they also do installation, themselves, and have for many years. They are a bit pricier, but the best of something always is.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1985