Topic: firewall insulator

Wolfie    -- 10-05-2010 @ 10:03 PM
  My 1940 does not have a firewall insulator. The cost for a new one is in the $200 range which I hate to spend for something you can hardly see. Has anyone been able to make one?

trjford8    -- 10-06-2010 @ 8:18 AM
  Sacramento Vintage Ford has an economy insulator for $95. They are made of fiberglass, but have the proper fit,color and pattern.You will have to supply the padding behind the insulator cover and drill your own holes. I have used these before and they work just fine if you are looking to save $. If you are restoring your car I would opt for the $200 one from Quiet Ride Solutions.

Wolfie    -- 10-06-2010 @ 7:33 PM
  Thanks trjford8. I will look into Sacramento Vintage Ford for this part. This is a much better price and is what I was looking for.

flatheadfan    -- 10-07-2010 @ 1:18 AM
  Wolfie-

Something I have done in the past for a couple of non-Fords I have owned that were in desperate need for a firewall insulator is to make one up using panel board material. I see no reason why it could not have some application for early Fords. It is not really that difficult to make.

I would start by cutting up the pieces to mimic the original board. After cutting I would paint the backside of the panels with POR15 (or similar product). This waterproofs the material and makes the panel board hard. After the paint harden I would use clear packaging tape on the backside to put the various pieces together to form the continuous panel I was seeking. I would then paint the tape to give it additional strength. On the front side where the various joints were noticeable, I used either body filler, weatherstrip adhesive or caulk to smooth things out. After I was satisfied with the initial finish I sprayed truck bed coating (available in a spray can) on the front to give things the "bumpy" factory look and hide the joints. Once dried, I installed it. Surprisingly, it comes out looking fairly good and holds up well.

Something I have thought about doing in the future when I find myself making-up an insulator is to use the new fiberboard upholstery board. This stuff is super tough and could prove to be more durable than an original factory board.

Again, I have used this on non-Fords where a reproduction insulator was not available and also on firewalls that had been reworked for an engine change and no reproduction board was available to match the new shape.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1968