Topic: Odd pump

Keystone 34 3w    -- 10-05-2010 @ 7:25 PM
  I tried to rebuild the upper pump but it is so unusual no one seems to have a kit. The impeller is brass and the pump body has a 1 inch bore with two torrington bearings. Hope the picture attached is clear.

Keystone 34 3w    -- 10-05-2010 @ 9:37 PM
  Someone did a lot of work to modify this pump but I had to replace it since it was noisy and leaking. The other pump on the car is still ok but I feel I should replace it with a stock pump that can be rebuilt with cataloque parts. If anyone has info on this odd pump please let me know. Thanks.

TomO    -- 10-08-2010 @ 8:09 AM
  I am just guessing, but it looks like you have the housing and bearings from a double sheave water pump, P/N 51-8502-C used on the dump truck. Woolert made kits for these pumps years ago, but I have not seen any kits recently.

I would go with the new pumps that are available now, unless you intend to get the car judged. The reproduction water pumps are not the same as the 34 water pumps.

Tom

Keystone 34 3w    -- 10-08-2010 @ 6:31 PM
  Tom, this pump was on a Dearborn winner and it has a single sheave and even the part no. stamped on it. I don`t think Ford had Torrington bearings in `34 in any of their pumps. The pulley looks like it was newly casted and is different than all my others and also the main housing seems to have the front machined off and a new front welded on to accomodate the 1 inch od bearings. The impeller is cast brass and it seems to have a new style automotive water pump seal kit. I had to remove it off the car because the bearings seized and the pump was noisy and leaking water all over the hood and engine bay. The other side is the same set up but not noisy yet. I just want to know if these are special or should I just thrash them since no kits are available.

TomO    -- 10-09-2010 @ 7:43 AM
  Could it be one of Fry's rebuilt pumps? I know from his Ads in the V-8 Times, that he used bearings instead of bushings.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1966