Topic: another color

46fordnut    -- 10-05-2010 @ 7:25 PM
  h*llo, iv'e been working on my 1946 ford from 2005 till now and for some time in some spots my paint has peeled off. the paint is kid of old but under it i see on some spots there is some off white or tannish paint showing. the paper work from 1955 said this car is black. is it possable that this car may have been white and someone wanted black so the dealer or factory repainted it the color it now is? i understand some of the early 1946 fords were white. is this what i'm seeing? if i remember right the window bugs are azdz or a2d2 some thing like that at some time someone told me this meant it was january of 46 atleast the windows were. if the vin might help here it is (99a993639). p.s this car from what i can tell its never been restored.

This message was edited by 46fordnut on 10-5-10 @ 9:54 PM

40 Coupe    -- 10-06-2010 @ 5:46 AM
  your VIN is from 1946 Mercury. The serial numbers (VIN) in 46 ran from 99A-650280 till 99A-1412709. So the serial would indicate the car was not built until about March or April or so. Check into the Mercury color schemes, for a white color. The factory would not repaint a used car but it is very possible the dealer may have a done a repaint, in the years, prior to 1955.

46fordnut    -- 10-06-2010 @ 6:06 AM
  ok....so does that mean that something is wrong if the vin is from a merc and not a ford? where would i find the vin on the car? i copied it from the title i have from 1955 that was for the car i now own and drive.

trjford8    -- 10-06-2010 @ 8:11 AM
  Your VIN or ID number would be on the top of the left frame rail anywhere from the firewall to the front crossmember. Most common location is near the crossmember.

Rusty    -- 10-06-2010 @ 4:09 PM
  This is not a Mercury vin number any more than it is a Ford vin number. Ford and Mercury used the same engine after the war so the numbers run consecutively between the two lines. 99A means it is a 100 hp block and the A designates passenger car. With this vin the car probably did not make it to the first customer until mid June to early July. If you could correctly read you window glass, they are letters like D-DG inside the oval, that would help narrow it down. Ford had a Light Moonstone Gray in 1946. After a few years in the sun it looked white.

46fordnut    -- 10-06-2010 @ 6:16 PM
  window bug as-d-s or 4z-d-z or a2-d-2 the window bugs are readable but i dont know witch is the correct one. this is only one window bug and they are in an oval that said ford safety glass. i just cant tell if the second and last thing is a (z) or a (2) . i think the first is an (A). would you have an sample of this color in a picture? p.s i think the first one is the right bug number.

This message was edited by 46fordnut on 10-6-10 @ 6:22 PM

Rusty    -- 10-06-2010 @ 6:37 PM
  Look on either end of and inside the oval. There will be one letter to the left of the script Ford and two to the right. If you have an A on the left, that is January. On the right is probably DG for 46. For examples look at fordscript.com and click on Products.

For an example of the color paste this in your server. http://norgv8club.org/norgcpg/displayimage.php?album=7&pos=87 This is on page three of the Northern Ohio Regional Groups album of their members cars.

46fordnut    -- 10-06-2010 @ 7:14 PM
  yes you are correct there is a DG .on the outside of the oval there are some letters AZ-D-Z any idea? what would the window bugs mean? month and year of production for the windows?

trjford8    -- 10-07-2010 @ 7:57 AM
  The dates on the glass specify when the glass was produced. Cars built in June could have glass that was made in April. Glass dates show you have original glass, but they are not a good indicator of venicle assembly dates.

46fordnut    -- 10-07-2010 @ 5:18 PM
  ok then what could i use to find out when the car was produced? vin? or is there some other way i dont know of . in the window bug there is the letters (A) and (DG)

This message was edited by 46fordnut on 10-7-10 @ 5:20 PM

trjford8    -- 10-07-2010 @ 7:06 PM
  The vin will give you the month and year of production. That is the only information that you can get from it.

Rusty    -- 10-07-2010 @ 7:44 PM
  Not really. The engines, like the glass, was shipped from Dearborn to the various assembly plants. The engines, or as we all know transmissions, were numbered before they were loaded for shipment. There is float time in all these parts plus last in - first out scenarios. Neither is really that accurate and there are no records. So at best, it is a guesstimate.

46fordnut    -- 10-07-2010 @ 8:36 PM
  99a993639 thats the vin on the paper work and title i have. model number is 69. body is sup dlx fordor i know the 99 (100 horse) is the engine and the (A)is passenger car. if you can help me figure out the rest it would be a big help.

TomO    -- 10-09-2010 @ 8:06 AM
  Your "vin" is really a serial number of one of all of the 238 cu in V-8s built. The engine was manufactured in 1946.

Ford did not use any identification plates or stamps to define the color, upholstery or options on the vehicle when manufactured in 1946.

To find the original color, you will have to do some detective work. The inside of the doors were rarely repainted, the inside of the floor pan is another place to look for a color change, under the hood and trunk hinges, behind the back seat or any other part of the car that would not have been repainted in a normal repaint.

Tom

deluxe40    -- 10-09-2010 @ 9:12 AM
  From the numbers you have listed, here is what I think you can say:

Your glass was made in January, 1946, so the car was made after that.

Your engine was made in the middle of the 1946 model run. If I did the math right, it is the 343,359th engine out of 767, 429 total, or 45% of the way through the run. '46 Fords were produced for almost 20 months, from July of '45 through mid February of '47. Production started very slowly (only 37,856 during 1945) and ramped up, so your car was probably built at least 10 months into the 20 month run, or sometime after July of 1946.

46fordnut    -- 10-09-2010 @ 7:22 PM
  what was the color primer they used in these years? maybe thats what im seeing.

supereal    -- 10-10-2010 @ 8:56 AM
  Peeling paint on an old car is not unusual. A good number of them received a "quicky" Earl Shieb type job, often applied with little or no prep. When I bought my '47 it was covered with some kind of strange black paint that would come off on a cloth soaked with ordinary thinner, when lightly rubbed. This required stripping to bare metal, and the use of a special primer-sealer before we could proceed. Even then, years of waxing produced "fish eyes", despite using a special inhibitor, because wax and silicone had reached the pores of the metal. Unless you are a master painter, it is a jo0b best left to a real "pro".

46fordnut    -- 10-10-2010 @ 11:21 AM
  most of the peeling is because i tried to cover the odd color with spray paint . but the spray paint only will stick for a few month at best.the odd other color only shows on the drivers side as far as i can tell. my paint doesn't stick to well to the odd color. i have not intention of trying to paint he car myself . after i take it to have body work i will have a pro paint it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1965