Topic: 1953 Flathead

1936TWC    -- 10-05-2010 @ 12:09 PM
  I have a 1953 Mercury Flathead motor with electronic
ignition. It was a great starting motor until a slight
bit of inactivity - about 6 weeks - becasue I was
installing a new Transmission. I was not getting spark
so I bought a new coil. No start.
Could vapor lock be a problem. If anyone has some insights to on solutions to this problem I would appreciate it. I do have a electric fuel pump. Thanks

TomO    -- 10-05-2010 @ 1:53 PM
  Are you getting spark? if not it could be your electronic ignition. They do not seem to be very reliable on the older cars due to transient sparks from the generator.

If you are getting spark, check to see if you are getting fuel at the carburetor. You should be able to hear your electric fuel pump working.

Tom

supereal    -- 10-05-2010 @ 3:06 PM
  Electronic conversions, more often than not, are the source of problems. In theory, they are fine. In practice, we have taken a number of them off. As TomO says, failure to regulate the charging system seems to be a major cause of failure. Most are impossible to diagnose.

trjford8    -- 10-06-2010 @ 8:25 AM
  TomO and Bob are correct. All it takes is an electrical "spike" from the generator to knock out the electronic module. Mallory actually makes a filter for their ignitions to try to stop this from happening.

1936TWC    -- 10-06-2010 @ 12:49 PM
  Gentleman; Thanks for the replies.
Initially;
I was not getting a good spark
Some corrosion on plug wires
One plug inspected and found dirty and out of gap adjustment.

Did change coil-Mallory- would not start
Changed out all plugs (which were out of gap range)
Cleaned some minimal corrosion on plug wires
Car started perfectly. Incidentally,Idon't have the filterI believe FlatheadJack sells them
them. Next: is there a way to adjust float level on my Stromberg 97. And my car has been on jackstands for a while and the Body does not sit symetrically, a slight tilt. what is the fix? Thanks for all you help.

Marty

supereal    -- 10-07-2010 @ 9:51 AM
  To set the float level, make a copy of the attached gauge. With the body of the carb upside down, bend the tab that pushes on the float needle until the float just touches the gauge, which is sitting on the carb body. As to the body tilt, almost all old Fords lean one way or the other. It is usually due to weak springs from years of flexing. If you don't want to replace the springs, or have the old ones re-arched, you can turn them end for end to try to even out the tilt. Be sure you don't have one or more broken leaves when you get the springs out. That isn't unusual.

This message was edited by supereal on 10-7-10 @ 10:00 AM

1936TWC    -- 10-08-2010 @ 12:41 PM
  Supereal

Thanks a million. The front spring inspection shows one
leaf slighly dislodged. Also, I should have checked my
sparkplugs before asking for help. Thanks again for sending me diagram.

Marty

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-10-2010 @ 10:38 AM
  make sure the floor is LEVEL, use a transit and make sure the floor is level,
it might look level but could be at a slight angle,
maybe made that way for water run off,
spill a little water on it and see if water runs in any direction.
use a level on the frame, if eveything is OK,
if it is then go on and see if the body mounts, or rubber cushions are still there and what shape,
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on TRUCKIN,,,!!!

TomO    -- 10-11-2010 @ 7:46 AM
  Marty, if one leaf is not in place, the center tie bolt is missing or broken. You must remove the spring to repair the problem.

Tom

mercury1953    -- 06-29-2017 @ 4:38 AM
  An old thread 2009 but I try at least

Hi, I'm new to this page and I'm setting the height of the float in a Ford / Holly 2 port carburetor in 1953. I understand that there is a template/gauge that you has submitted but I can not access the picture. Would be grateful if I could get that template / drawing.
Thanks in advance
Lars

len47merc    -- 06-29-2017 @ 5:24 AM
  mercury1953 - looks like the server for attachments may be offline presently as every attachment I've looked at this morning (both current that were view-able last evening and from the past) yields the same 'Server not found' screen. Perhaps admin is working on this - try again later and you'll likely be able to view it then.

Great job on searching out the old thread btw!

Steve

ken ct.    -- 06-29-2017 @ 11:00 AM
  Merc upper post you said you had a Strom 97 needed float adj. ,,, then later you said you had a ford-holley carb. Float setting is completely diff for each one. Call me I will tellyou how. ken ct. 1-203-260-9780 cell

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1963