Topic: 36 Intake Manifold

DK    -- 10-03-2010 @ 10:05 AM
  I dropped a carburetor nut down the intake manifold when removing the carburetor. Can't see it, so I guess I will have to remove the manifold. Questions: Should I torque the manifold bolts when I put it back on? If so how much? The manifold gasket used on the manifold is 2yrs. old, can I use it, or should I get a new one. Again, thanks for your help. DK

lightflyer1    -- 10-03-2010 @ 10:39 AM
  Have you tried a magnet? On a shaft or something flexible? A string maybe?

supereal    -- 10-03-2010 @ 11:25 AM
  Been there, done that, so don't feel bad. Unless the nut went down a runner and the valve was open, you should be able to retrieve it. Each side of the manifold serves four cylinders, so if you know which side you dropped it into, you can narrow down the possibilities. Chances are it is at or near the runner closest to the carb mount, if it didn't fall into a valve pocket. We use a magnet on the end of a flexible shank to fish for those things. They are available at most parts places. Just don't turn the engine until you find it, or a head will have to come off if it gets by the valve. If you do have to pull the intake, I'd use a fresh gasket. Good ones are only about $15, so why take a chance. Tightening correctly one time usually means you don't have to do it again. Just be sure all the bolts have lock washers on them. I don't have any recommended torque reading for the intake. Just don't overtighten and distort the gasket. At our shop, we always place take over the carb mount on the manifold "just in case".

DK    -- 10-04-2010 @ 7:00 AM
  FOUND A SMALL MAGNET, ATTACHED IT TO A SMALL WIRE, DROPPED IT IN THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE MANIFOLD, FISHED IT AROUND THE CHAMBER AND, LOW AND BEHOLD THE CARB. NUT WAS ATTACHED WHEN I PULLED THE WIRE OUT. NO QUESTION IS TOO DUMB TO ASK --- THANKS AGAIN.

supereal    -- 10-04-2010 @ 10:32 AM
  There are no dumb questions here on the Forum. Most of us have made the mistakes that cause you to whack your forehead and mutter "how could I have done that?" On the other hand, think how good you feel when something goes right!

TomO    -- 10-05-2010 @ 7:49 AM
  Most of the answers on the Forum come from experience. That means we made the same mistake at some point in time.

Tom

jerry.grayson    -- 10-05-2010 @ 1:41 PM
  I don't think that you will want to use lock washers on the aluminum intake on your 1936 car. They came with thin flat washers and they are not going to viberate loose.

supereal    -- 10-05-2010 @ 3:13 PM
  The "official" Ford repair manual, 3666-47G, calls for lock washers on all intakes.

cbkidder    -- 01-12-2011 @ 5:31 PM
  So glad you found the nut without having to pull the manifold and heads. Just reading about dropping a nut down the manifold made me shudder.

36 Roadster
brion@cbkidder.com

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1952