Topic: Carb Leak Fix Question

BBoardman    -- 10-02-2010 @ 9:43 AM
  I am working on reviving a '48 coupe (2nd owner and its benn in the family since 1973) and have a carb that after the rebuild is leaking out of the main jet bowl plugs. We used an Echlin (NAPA) rebuild kit and have used this type a couple times over the years without problem. It seems like the gaskets for the two plugs just aren't sealing. BUT there are two colors of gaskets that fit these two plugs, 1 set is black and one set is gray. Is there a difference in these two? If so which is the correct seal for the bowl plugs that allow you to take out the main jets? I have the gray ones in there at this time and the plugs are tight -- VERY tight, but still seeping enough fuel to wet the carb base and intake manifold. HELP! I could post a picture if necessary.

TomO    -- 10-02-2010 @ 10:01 AM
  I stone the carburetor base with a fine stone to get a smooth finish on the base and then install the plugs with Locktite thread lock. Use the type that will allow you to remove the plugs without heat. I have used kits with black, grey and red gaskets without leakage. Make sure that the gasket just fits on the plug.

Tom

BBoardman    -- 10-02-2010 @ 10:03 AM
  Thanks for the note, maybe I need to get "stoned" so to speak. I'll check out the locktite application and see what happens. I guess I'll pull the carb again and see about this.

supereal    -- 10-02-2010 @ 10:47 AM
  Be sure not to over tighten the plugs, as this distorts the gasket enough to allow seepage. If you still have a problem, use fuel proof O rings in place of the flat ring gaskets.

BBoardman    -- 10-02-2010 @ 11:00 AM
  Thanks, on the way to NAPA to check out o-rings and perhap the locktite idea too.
I want to get her back on the road, been out of commission for about 15 years or so. I was busy overseas but want to finish the project. Still have the interior and some small electrical and door glass issues wto work out and it will be a good driver, not a show car.

BBoardman    -- 10-02-2010 @ 1:53 PM
  O-rings did the trick. Started up and started smoking something fierce --- left side water pump was siezed. I broke it loose with a pipe wrench and worked it till I could turn it and then restarted and it seems to run ok. Now I've got to order some new water pumps -- probably those new hi-flow jobs with the imroved impellers.

supereal    -- 10-02-2010 @ 2:41 PM
  Sounds like you are making progress. It would be a good idea to put some water pump lube in the radiator. It is sold as "anti rust". It may extend the life of your old water pumps, but the new ones are a good idea. After 15 years, it is a good bet you will be chasing "bugs" for a while. Another tip is to use a high detergent oil, such as Rotella, to help clear out the lube system. It comes in gallon jugs, so buy a quart to make the total fill. The idea is to have fun with your car, and fix things as they require.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1947