Topic: Article regarding hood alignment

42wagon    -- 10-01-2010 @ 3:11 AM
  Several years ago and article appeared in the V8 Times with instructions on how to adjust the hood hinges on the 41-48 cars.

If someone remembers the month and year it would save me a lot of looking through old issues.
Thanks
Ted

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-01-2010 @ 7:59 AM
  Go to the front page of this web site.
scroll down to SEARCHABLE INDEX, type in HOOD ALIGNMENT, there you will be able to view what V8 TIMES it was in and you can read off the web site.
hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,,

parrish    -- 10-01-2010 @ 8:25 AM
  I saw the searchable index, but no links for reading from the web site...did I miss it?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-01-2010 @ 8:54 AM
  I was wrong about reading from the web site but does tell you which V8 TIMES the article is in,
if you scroll down you should see the list.
if would be nice to read right from the web site.
maybe in the future
hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,!!!

42wagon    -- 10-01-2010 @ 10:20 AM
  I didn't know that index existed thanks for the tip. Very strange though, I found the particular issue as I set it aside knowing that eventually I would need it. No matter how I ask for it in the index the article does not appear. Anyway for those who need it look for the May/June 2009 issue.

Old Henry    -- 10-01-2010 @ 10:36 AM
  I haven't read that issue on hood alignment since I'm just a new member and my issues don't go back that far but I thought I'd throw in a solution I found for hood alignment after struggling for years to get my hood to fit tight when I closed it.

After 63 years my hood hinge pivot points were a bit worn and loose to say the least. As a result, when the hood was shut it would not go down all of the way nor fit tight next to the cowl. I did everything I could think of to adjust the hinges and latch to make it fit, the best being loosening all hinges where attached to the cowl, shutting the hood and pushing it back as tight to the cowl as I could get it, then tightening the bolts mounting the hinges to the cowl. Still, the hood would not go down tight nor fit tight when closed.

Finally, I put a video camera in the engine compartment to videotape what was going on with the hinges whan the hood closed. It was the hinge springs pushing the hood up and forward when the hood was closed. All I had to do was remove the springs and every thing fit great. I replaced the springs with very weak look-a-like springs to look right. The old springs wouldn't hold the hood up anyway and I always had to put a support at the front to hold it up so no loss by dropping the original springs. Now the hood fits great and the hinges look normal too.

Was this mentioned in the article?

Still Old Henry

supereal    -- 10-01-2010 @ 10:51 AM
  42: If you don't find it, I'll scan and post it. Getting the hood to close properly is a bit like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time. We reduced the likely problems to a few things: weak springs, worn pivots, either holes or pins, and repro firewall seals that are too thick. The geometry of the hood linkage is set up so as it is almost down, it goes "over center" to secure the hood against the firewall. Finding that "sweet spot" takes a lot of trial and error.

Chevguy49Ford    -- 10-01-2010 @ 4:57 PM
  That was pretty ingenious thinking Old Henry.

Cheers, Scott.

1949 Custom Tudor.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/35thLE/49016.jpg

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1942