Topic: Heater, hot water type

ole_Bill    -- 09-30-2010 @ 5:35 PM
  My '36 Sedan has an interior heater with two pipes that pass thru the firewall and are obviously meant to connect to the radiator hoses somehow. There were no hoses connecting the heater to a water source when I got the car. Can someone tell me how these water connections are made? Thanks.

tudorbilll    -- 09-30-2010 @ 6:36 PM
  I just fnished mine.You have to 90 out of the water pump to the heater out of the heater to lower radiator hose.you could back to upper hose also.

tudorbilll    -- 09-30-2010 @ 6:40 PM
  one more pic

flatheadfan    -- 10-01-2010 @ 4:19 AM
  ole_Bill

My hook-up is similar to Tudorbill's hook-up but I used a hose adapter similar to what is used on the bottom radiator hose. Regardless of which way you do it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put a shut-off valve in series with the heater inflow to cut-down on the heat that enters the passenger compartment in the summer.

Tom

This message was edited by flatheadfan on 10-1-10 @ 4:21 AM

flatheadfan    -- 10-01-2010 @ 4:21 AM
  Wrong picture above- should be this one!

This message was edited by flatheadfan on 10-1-10 @ 4:23 AM

Stroker    -- 10-01-2010 @ 6:52 AM
  Flathead Fan: (with apologies to Ole Bill for interrupting his thread)

Your "wrong photo" is very interesting. Besides appearing to have a Columbia vacuum source,
I'm curious as to the purpose of the little "metering valve" on the oil filter supply line.
Is this in lieu of the specified restrictor orifice, or do you use it to shut-off the filter for more oil pressure?

flatheadfan    -- 10-01-2010 @ 9:34 AM
  Stroker-

Living where I am (MI) my cars often sit for months. During this time any and all oil in the filter drains out. So when I do restart the car I don't want to divert oil from where it is needed to fill the filter so I shut off the oil flowing to the filter hence the shut-off valve. When things get warmed-up I open the valve and let things operate normally. I do have a flow resistor to the oil filter.

As for the hose, good observation but not necessary the right conclusion. I don't have a Columbia rear axle (I have a 3.54). The hose you see goes to a '57 T-Bird vacuum booster. I have '48 hydraulic brakes with the booster added. The addition of the booster gives me some really serious stopping power. I don't know why more guys don't add a booster to their brakes. It is easy to install (no holes to drill) and you only need to splice it into your existing plumbing.

Hope this answers your questions.

Tom

Stroker    -- 10-01-2010 @ 11:02 AM
  Flatheadfan:

Thank You! Your T-Bird booster looks a lot like the Hydrovac units we used to have on our trucks.

With Further Apologies to ole Bill!

39 Ken    -- 10-01-2010 @ 5:50 PM
  One more apology to ole Bill...
Flathead fan,
Your fuel line from the pump to the carb; Is that a fuel filter? If so, what kind and model number if you have it. Also, is that the only filter you have in the system? Thanks, Ken

flatheadfan    -- 10-02-2010 @ 12:14 AM
  Ken-

Yes, that is a fuel filter. It is a standard Ford fuel filter which would screw directly into the carb. It was used in Ford products during the 60s and 70s. It is readily available and cheap.

The reason I am using a filter between the fuel pump and the carb is to pick-up any residue from the fuel pump diaphragm or flex hose as a result of the alcohol blended gas we are forced to use. I much rather have the stuff collect in the filter than in the carb.

I do have another fuel filter back by the gas tank just prior to an electric fuel pump I use to prime the system after a long sit. During normal use all fuel goes through this filter before it makes its' trek to the fuel pump.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1939