Topic: 35 Gas Tank with a 36 Sending Unit

35Phaeton    -- 09-29-2010 @ 3:08 PM
  My 1935 gas tank appears in good shape, nothing rattling inside. I have a very nice set of 1936 gauges but in 1936, the fuel gauge requires an conventional electic sending unit which has a larger in diameter mounting plate and does not line up to the hole pattern on the 1935 tank. The 1935 sending unit was the hydrostatic type and had a vent tube attached to it's mounting plate......so even if we can solve how to attach the larger 1936 sending unit, how does the tank get vented??

Any one been down this path??

Thanks, Jim

flatheadfan    -- 09-29-2010 @ 5:49 PM
  Jim-

I am familiar with '35 and '36 tanks and to be honest, the simplest way to do what you want is to use a '36 tank. Attempting to widen the '35 hole to accept a '36-'55 sender requires you to remove the reinforcement ring around the sender hole and bolt the sender directly to the tank sheetmetal. The end result is you can/will be plagued with fuel leakage problems.

As for venting the tank on a '35 you will need to rework the fuel tank's neck. There are a couple of ways to do that but the simplest way is to run a piece of tubing inside the neck as shown in the enclosed photos.

Hope this helps.

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 09-29-2010 @ 5:50 PM
  Second view-

48-710    -- 09-30-2010 @ 5:12 AM
  G'Day Tom, I have the reverse problem to Jim. Good '35 fuel tanks are thin on the ground down here in Australia and I might have to use a new tank from one of the vendors.But,as you know, they only take the sender for an electric gauge. Is it possible to adapt the original '35 hydrostatic set up?
Regards,
Gary

flatheadfan    -- 09-30-2010 @ 10:09 AM
  Gary-

Check eBay item 320597155923. I think this is what you are looking for.

Tom

drkbp    -- 09-30-2010 @ 10:13 AM
  Check the vendors. There are adaptor plates that allow you to use the different sending units. I just looked at two different ones, Drake and Mac's. Depends on which way you are trying to go.

Hope this helps,
Ken

supereal    -- 09-30-2010 @ 2:59 PM
  It might be a good time to consider installing a plastic tank that will accommodate the sender. Old tanks and the "new" gas don't mix.

t35    -- 09-30-2010 @ 3:01 PM
  i have a 35 with a 36 tank not vented but the cap is vented. do you think that's ok?
tom

flatheadfan    -- 09-30-2010 @ 3:29 PM
  Tom-

I can't speak for others but my experience with what you have has resulted in fueling backups. Meaning that when you fill the tank you end up with fuel backing up (because of the trapped air in the tank being unable to exit due to the incoming fuel)and washing all over the fender and the person filling the tank. Very s-l-o-w filling will help but not solve the problem.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 09-30-2010 @ 3:33 PM
  I solved a similar problem with a kitcar I built in the following manner. The new fuel filler pipe went where the fuel gauge sending unit had been located so the sending unit had to be relocated. I cut the holes for the new location of the sending unit in a flat area on the top of the tank. I used an appropriate sized hole saw to cut the center hole. I then drilled the surrounding smaller holes slightly smaller than the holes in the sending unit housing to accomodate sheet metal screws. When I attached the sending unit to the tank I sealed the joint between the two with J-B Weld. I owned the car for 22 years after that and never had a fuel leak. Hope this helps. A vented fuel cap was used. I started with a brand new tank that had never had fuel in it.

tudorbilll    -- 09-30-2010 @ 6:57 PM
  flatheadfan;where in the tank did you run the vent.Yes it is slow filling the tank.The more cars useing the pumps the better Little less presure at the hose.

flatheadfan    -- 10-01-2010 @ 3:42 AM
  tudor Bill-

There are a couple of ways to do this one of which I have described above. However, the absolute best way is by running a separate line from the top of the tank. Enclosed is a picture of a '36 tank with a top venting hose.

It is nothing more than an elbow with a fuel resistant hose attached. The hose goes up to a tube welded to the outside of the fuel neck (additional picture). The tube then enters the neck and is under the gas cap.
With this arrangement you can fuel the tank as quick as the pump will deliver the fuel without you or the car taking a "gas bath."

Tom

flatheadfan    -- 10-01-2010 @ 3:43 AM
  Second picture

35Phaeton    -- 10-01-2010 @ 4:48 PM
  Thanks for your many inputs, I have decided to brake down and get a new tank from Drake using their sending unit which will work with the original 36 gauge which I have, I can use my 35 filler neck and will add a vent tube as Tom has illustrated in his post.

Thanks again, Jim

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1934