Topic: Patch Panels

johnmyron    -- 09-28-2010 @ 3:28 PM
  Have started tearing down my 53 convertible, and am going to need a lot of patch panels. It appears that Surplus Supply has a large inventory, but have also seen them show in Mac's catalog. Am a bit leery of Macs. Anyone have any recommendations re quality, thickness, etc on patch panels for a 53?
thanks,
John Wells

trjford8    -- 09-28-2010 @ 7:33 PM
  You might run an ad for some NOS panels. You might also check with Dennis Carpenter and American Parts in Kentucky(they advertise in Hemmings). They might cost a little more money, but well worth the price.Sometimes it's worth the price to buy a parts car for the panels. Another source for panels might be Big M Auto in Williams ,California. This guy has acres of late 40's and early 50's cars.

40 Coupe    -- 09-29-2010 @ 5:34 AM
  I believe Green supply in Cinn, OH has NOS body panels

supereal    -- 09-29-2010 @ 9:34 AM
  You are right in questioning the quality of patch panels. Many are of very light gauge material, and will soon deteriorate. They are also extremely hard to weld into place without warping, even with great care. Many were designed to allow patching vehicles for a quick sale. We tried them way back in 1960, before repro parts became unreliable. Even then, the panels didn't hold up. As said, a donor car is better, if you can find one in good enough shape to use. One of the best sources of info on this subject is a long standing body shop. Most have resources not known to the general public

custom    -- 10-10-2010 @ 6:49 PM
  I made the first inner q/panel myself which took what seemed to be for ever. (it fit rather well) After working w/the one for the other side that I purchased (can'tremember where)what seemed to be forever" plus", I definatly would try to find the better made. My project was a 1952 4dr.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1929