Topic: Ford 34 stripes

solcitoblue    -- 09-28-2010 @ 4:57 AM
  I would like to paint stripes in my 34 coupe, I would like to know:
1.The width of the central line and the sides, and
2. The distance between them.

I am considering using a Beugler tool, but I need this information to buy the heads.
Any experiences using Beugler for this ?
Thanks

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-28-2010 @ 5:10 AM
  See if you can find a professional striper.
try a good sign maker,they usually stripe some of the signs, and have the talent. look at some of there work before letting them do your car,
Also you can try EASTWOOD, in PA,, they have all the tools,colors...special brushes and SPECIAL PAINT,you will ever need,, plus books,, CDS, that tell you HOW TO DO IT,
and make sure you PRACTICE on something else before doing the 34. a scr*p of metal,
HOPE this helps.37 RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on TRUCKIN,,,!!

solcitoblue    -- 09-28-2010 @ 6:53 AM
  Thanks for the comments and recommendations, but stripes I need to paint are the original 3 stripes that came with car, these run along the body just below the window belt.
Thanks
Again
Solcitoblue

deluxe40    -- 09-28-2010 @ 9:57 AM
  According to the club's 33-34 Restoration Manual ( a book you should buy if you want to restore your car authentically): "The center stripe was 3/32" wide and the two on each side 1/32" with slightly over 1/16" between the outside and middle stripe."

1934 Ford    -- 09-28-2010 @ 7:00 PM
  deluxe40 is correct on the demensions.
" is also right about buying the 33-34 Restoration Book. (Worth every cent)
37RAGTOPMAN is also correct about hiring a professional striper, now that you have the demensions.
Nothing ruins a nice 34 more than bad pin-stripes because they're so close together. The $ saved doing it yourself with roller will haunt you the entire ownership of the vehicle. (This is all assuming the vehicle was not painted with a paint roller)
Good Luck

trjford8    -- 09-28-2010 @ 7:51 PM
  I agree with the others. Find a good striper to stripe your car. The money that you don't spend on the Beugler will go towards the professional job. There are a lot of those Beugler striping tools sitting in drawers that were only used once. The sales people make it look easy, but once you get it home you find that it is not as easy as it looks. The original cars on the assembly line were hand striped and it is the only way that the striping looks correct.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 09-29-2010 @ 5:13 AM
  I had a thought.
if there is a motorcycle shop in your area that restores older bikes,[ OR ANY BIKE SHOP ] they have to know a striper they do this all the time, they might steer you in the right direction,
it might help finding the right person to do the job,
doing it right is only doing it once,
and like 1934 FORD said, it will be with you as long as you own the 34,
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,,!!!

TomO    -- 09-29-2010 @ 8:58 AM
  I have a Beuglar striping tool and agree with the others about having a professional do your striping. The tool is hard to guide on long straight stretches even with the magnetic guide and almost impossible to guide around curves. The paint must be at just the right viscosity or it leaks all over the car and lace curtains appear in the stripe.

I bought mine for $15 at a swap meet many years ago from a man that had tried it and got disgusted with it.

Tom

solcitoblue    -- 10-24-2010 @ 10:41 AM
  Thanks to all for the comments on painting stripes on my 34
I can see all agree I should get help from a proffesional striper and not use the Beugler tool, my problem is I live in Peru, and I donĀ“t think I can find a striper here.
I am thinking then of using a special masking tape I see Eastwwod sells for painting stripes, maybe buying the thicker tape, 3/4, and then making a tool to cut the tape in 3, with the correct width and, then applying tape over car and painting...any experience using tape.

Another question...did the louvers on the hood had also stripes?.....thickness and position?

Thanks in advance for help

Solcitoblue

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 10-24-2010 @ 12:45 PM
  GO on EASTWOODS WEB SITE.
they have all the striping tools , brushes. and have the manuals on HOW TO DO IT,and SPECIAL stripping Paint, in many colors. with samples of the colors.
they sell a magnetic tape, to use as a guide,for when striping. either by tool or free hand,
you remoce later on, this is a great aid, when doing the job,and can be reused for other jobs,
the buegler tool leave little serrations in the paint.
remember . gravity is working against you.
the buegler tools works better on flat surfaces, laying down, and paint has to be just right, for use,
what ever you do ,make sure to practice before you do the job.
my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPAMN

johnpoly    -- 10-24-2010 @ 3:41 PM
  Tiene que estar un profisional en Peru con la
experiencia ud. necessita para pintar las lineas
en su carro. Hay onibus en el pais con lineas
decorativas pintada por un experto en pintura.
Busca para el.

TomO    -- 10-28-2010 @ 11:02 AM
  Most sign painters can paint the stripes for you.

The masking tape leaves a fuzzy edge on the stripes. This is caused by tearing out the size strip for the stripe and the poor seal between the car body and the tape.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1926