Topic: 1950 ford

4532323    -- 10-25-2009 @ 7:04 PM
  I HAVE A 1950 DELUXE FORD COUPE, IT DOESN'T APPEAR TO HAVE ANY DASH LIGHTS. I INSTALLED NEW WIRING TO INCLUDE TURN SIGNALS. THE GAUGES AND SPEEDOMETER ARE REFLECTIVE. BUT NO ACTUAL DASH LIGHTS, DOES ANYONE KNOW FOR SURE.

trjford8    -- 10-25-2009 @ 7:57 PM
  The 49-50 Fords were famous for having dim dash lights. Even converting to 12 volts does not help. Apparently there is some plastic covers inside the light sockets that filter the light. Some have said if you remove the covers it will make a big difference. Hopefully a 49-50 owner will weigh in on this post.

Chevguy49Ford    -- 10-26-2009 @ 5:33 AM
  I stole (borrowed) the following info from www.shoeboxford.com If you sign up on their website there is lots of helpful tips and info, and they are the place for 49-51 parts.

Can't see your instruments at night on '49-'50 models? Not surprising - over the years, the ability of the letters and numbers to retain light and reflect them goes away. That, plus the "black light" fixtures that hold the dash lights, often results in no-see instruments at night. Solution: Four screws hold the speedo head in place and they need to be removed and the speedo head lifted out.

This ain't easy - you're laying on your head and both arms are up under the dash and the d*mn light won't stay where it should. Take your time. You'll probably drop one of the four screws - they are bulkheaded but short. Keep your little magnet handy.

Ease the speedo head out. With it out of the way, remove the top instrument light socket. You'll see the light fits into a violet glass fixture. On the side of the instrument pod you're looking at, notice the two metal tabs that are bent over against the back of the pod. These tabs hold the violet fixture in place.

Straighten the tabs out so you can remove the violet glass. Use your finger to do this, but do it gently. Get a couple of fingers up in the hole where the speedo head goes and ease the violet fixture down. You'll probably bend the thin metal that surrounds the speedo in getting this violet fixture out. If so, just use your fingers to squeeze it and it should pop right back into shape.

Now that you've got the violet fixture removed, reinstall the speedo head - you'll need a magnetic screwdriver or a tool that holds the screw as you get each one started. When you're done, you'll find your instruments are bathed in light; if the reflection is harsh, the bulb can be painted green or red or blue to reduce any glare.

You could lower the violet fixture, but doing so will result in upward glare rather than downward glare. It works fine if you remove the lower fixture, paint the bulb with three or four shots of red paint to dim it. But doing the same to the upper light gives a better result.

Cheers, Scott.

1949 Custom Tudor.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e42/35thLE/49016.jpg

Grant    -- 10-28-2009 @ 8:55 AM
  Good morning,

Thanks for putting up this post.

Our '50 coupe is doing exactly the same thing ..... very dim dash lights.

Perhaps you could let me know how you make out fixing this problem, and what you had to do to correct it.

I had thought of two possible remedies, but haven't tried them yet:

1. trying to find small 6 volt bulbs that are brighter than the stock factory Ford lights.

2. making certain that the housing which holds the speedometer and gauges has a really good ground to the metal dashboard (maybe by using an extra wire from the back of the bare metal speedo housing to an existing bolt or screw which is already attached to the dash???).

Regards, Grant

Texas40    -- 10-29-2009 @ 11:41 AM
  Mustang repo parts supplier has a light blue light filter for early Mustangs that fit right into the 50 dash slots. They smooth the harshness of the dash lights but gives you instrument lights that are bright pleasant and look great at night. Just remove the assy and install the filters one by one.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=192